Wiki Posts
Search

3PK digital-analog servos

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default 3PK digital-analog servos

I have a 3PK radio, and were having issues with some of the servo's not always returning center, and or the servo will move alittle bit after you've let off the throttle. I have some digital servos and analog servos, and we do run the analog for throttle and digital for steering, sometimes it works sometimes they don't. I don' have a matched set of servos for the car, meaning high torque/high speed for steering. Some say it doesn't matter if you have a digital and analog servo, some say you can't, I haven't contacted the manufacter yet, but and body have any comments?
Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use a 3PK and most of mine have a mix - usually a digitial on the strg and analog for the throttle/brakes. I haven't had any probs and run mostly PCM mode with futab 113ip rxs. It doing this on more than one rc?

3PK can be complicated enough taht I start a new model by doing a full model reset. Copy one you're havung probs with to an unused model. Then do a reset where you were. Set it back up in this same model and see if you still have the prob.

Something may be altered in one of the upper level menus that you're not aware of. This sets everything back to defaul so you can re-try and see if it solves prob. Seen it work more than once.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Default 3PK

We have 2 recievers R603FS, both do the same thing, we ususlly ran a Airtronics 947358 for throttle, and JR 9100S for steering, and the 947358 just stopped working at the track, and we bought a Hitec 985MG, brand new and we have the problem with it. Today we bought a XP digital DS 1015, and it works great. We did try all modes HRS, PCM, PPM with a new set up and rebind every time with the same results. I think I'm gonna have to talk to Futaba for what its worth
Old 04-06-2009, 04:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 3pk

akiyama77 , did you try digital servos for both (thrtle,strrng)?? it must be on the hrs mode & are you using both antena the stock radio ant. & module antena????try this 1st......& let me know thks
Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

you can run a mix (digital/analog) no problems, IF you use ONLY PPM or PCM mode.

If you ever run analog on HRS you can ruin the servo, I've seen it...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Default 3PK

I now have 2 dig. servo's and in the HRS mode, with the stock radio ant and module ant. and everything works fine. I don't understand how if I use a dig and analog in the HRS mode it will ruin the servo, can anybody explain?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

good to hear that ,hrs = high response/high resolution system, ,if you use the analog servos on this mode it will ruin your analog servos ,the reason why its not centering everytime you played the thrtle & stering ,it will not center (delay) meaning the radio is too fast for those analog servos & its not really gonna work (it will move but the servo becomes hot until you bake it lol)..............the only way is ppm mode for analog servos period .
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have a 3pm 2.4ss radio with an old analog servo.....does it switch automatically between ppm and hrs? MIne says pp when i turn it on...was thinking about getting a digital servo...will i need th switch it to hrs when i get the servo? tryin to catch up after a 15 yr off season....that manual that came with the 3pm isnt helping things!!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

you switch from ppm to hrs in the radio menu's, and you have to turn radio off-on for it to start transmitting in the new mode.

ONLY run HRS with DIGITAL servos
Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Default Correct

I finally found that info on the on-line manual, and that's also what Futaba to me too
Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

thanks jay
Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Duster_360
I use a 3PK and most of mine have a mix - usually a digitial on the strg and analog for the throttle/brakes. I haven't had any probs and run mostly PCM mode with futab 113ip rxs. It doing this on more than one rc?

3PK can be complicated enough taht I start a new model by doing a full model reset. Copy one you're havung probs with to an unused model. Then do a reset where you were. Set it back up in this same model and see if you still have the prob.

Something may be altered in one of the upper level menus that you're not aware of. This sets everything back to defaul so you can re-try and see if it solves prob. Seen it work more than once.
Dear Duster_360, as a newbie in RC car hobby, i owned a GT2 and a futaba 3pk transmitter. Currently, using 2.4G module for my GT2 with mixed servo. I replaced my steering servo with Hitec digital servo and for the throttle i stil using the stock analog servo. Problem is i don't know what mode to set for my transmitter. PPM, PCM or HRS?? For sure I can not use HRS cause i used mixed type of servo. How about PCM or PPM? Which one to use in order to use fail safe or ABS?

My new Hitec digital servo make noise when urn ON. Is that normal?

I do also use my futaba 3pk to control my electric power RC car using a FM module. Which mode should i set ? PCM or PPM? Can i set ABS and fail-safe Its is using a normal analogue servo.

By the way, i bought the 3pk secondhand or used and it comes with a LIPO battery (11.1V) is it ok? Will it damage my transmitter?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't think you have the option to use PCM if using 2.4, so it will have to be PPM, but I'm only familar with FAAST. If your 2.4 is FAAST, you can use FS with PPM, but it has to be set everytime you power up torun, I know its a PIA, but that that way FAAST is setup.

Digitals make noise - just be sure you have it properly centered and setup so there is no straining going on when servo is centered. Digitals make a significant effort to center the servo and if you have it preloaded whne its centered, it will make more noise as its trying to fight back to its centered position. Straining this way can also shorten servo life.

The tx mode for your electic depends on the type rx, you'll need to ID the rx and find out what mode it was made to work in, then set the tx mode to match.

I converted both my 3PK and 3PJS to a 3S (11.1v) last year and they've been fine, just need a prpoer lipo capable charger to take care of it.

I bought my 3PK used as well and I found the manual to be invalueable - manual is located here.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Duster_360
I don't think you have the option to use PCM if using 2.4, so it will have to be PPM, but I'm only familar with FAAST. If your 2.4 is FAAST, you can use FS with PPM, but it has to be set everytime you power up torun, I know its a PIA, but that that way FAAST is setup.

Digitals make noise - just be sure you have it properly centered and setup so there is no straining going on when servo is centered. Digitals make a significant effort to center the servo and if you have it preloaded whne its centered, it will make more noise as its trying to fight back to its centered position. Straining this way can also shorten servo life.

The tx mode for your electic depends on the type rx, you'll need to ID the rx and find out what mode it was made to work in, then set the tx mode to match.

I converted both my 3PK and 3PJS to a 3S (11.1v) last year and they've been fine, just need a prpoer lipo capable charger to take care of it.

I bought my 3PK used as well and I found the manual to be invalueable - manual is located here.
Thanks for the helpful info. Really appreciated.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)
Default This was helpful, thanks

Originally Posted by mbx5rcr34
good to hear that ,hrs = high response/high resolution system, ,if you use the analog servos on this mode it will ruin your analog servos ,the reason why its not centering everytime you played the thrtle & stering ,it will not center (delay) meaning the radio is too fast for those analog servos & its not really gonna work (it will move but the servo becomes hot until you bake it lol)..............the only way is ppm mode for analog servos period .
This was helpful, thanks