Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro servo suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Nitro servo suggestions?

Thinking of getting into nitro truggy this summer. What are the general specs I should look for on servos for an eighth scale truggy? Minimum torque for steering and throttle? Maximum useful speed on the steering? Good brands or ones to stay away from?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

one of the best:

futaba bls-352

good less money:

Team Associated DS1015 (or ace brand they are they same)
Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marccaracer
Thinking of getting into nitro truggy this summer. What are the general specs I should look for on servos for an eighth scale truggy? Minimum torque for steering and throttle? Maximum useful speed on the steering? Good brands or ones to stay away from?
Finally, somebody that actually understands Most people get hung up on brands...

I only run a 250oz servo in my Truggy for steering and it does well, so I'd say anything equal to or greater. Speed of at least .15 seconds.

For throttle, anything with at least 120oz but I like the idea of 200oz or more to really clamp down on the brakes. Something with at least .13 transit time.

For the ultimate, I've seen guys run Hitec 7955 for both steering and throttle on 7.4V lipo. That'll give you over 400oz and .13 transit time on both

For brands, it's kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. I run Hitecs and have blown a couple (Losi 8; notorious for blowing servos when not set up right). I've also run Airtronics and Ace. I'm currently running the Ace servos in my buggy and they've worked flawless. I wouldn't trust them as much in a Truggy due to the fact that I think there is one plastic gear in there.

I'm really liking the new JR high voltage servos merely for the fact that they have a BEEFY geartrain in them but they cost a fortune.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

can anybody help me? i have question about digital servos. can i run digital for my steering and analog on my throttle will that hurt anything. I only can afford one at a time so i want to put one on and the other later.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rawdawgga
can anybody help me? i have question about digital servos. can i run digital for my steering and analog on my throttle will that hurt anything. I only can afford one at a time so i want to put one on and the other later.
What radio system are you using? In most cases it will be fine.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dameetz
What radio system are you using? In most cases it will be fine.
i'm using a spektrum dx3s
Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rawdawgga
i'm using a spektrum dx3s
It will be ok. If you are using faster rate frame like Futaba HRS then you will have to use both Digital.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dameetz
It will be ok. If you are using faster rate frame like Futaba HRS then you will have to use both Digital.
Thanks alot