Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sensored and sensorless brushless

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Default Sensored and sensorless brushless

Recently i just got interested in EP cars and wanted to know more about brushless motors and their ESCs. What are the differences between sensor and sensorless brushless system? I m particularly interested in Hobbywing EZRUN package for my first brushless experience coz its cheap. I ll puting it in either a Tamiya TA05 or an Xpress MRR02 mini chassis.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Tech Adept

sensored are more easy to drive do to more control overall!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

The difference between Sensored and Sensorless is that the Sensored motors (predictably) have sensors in them :P They can tell exactly where the rotor is at any time and so can apply the power to the motor instantly giving better acceleration. Sensorless on the other hand have to wait until the rotor is in a certain place to apply the power. That's the basics as far as i know.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

So which one should i get for my first brushless motor? Sensored or sensorless? Pls advice which brushless package is better. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:06 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dameetz
So which one should i get for my first brushless motor? Sensored or sensorless? Pls advice which brushless package is better. Thanks.
It depends on what you want to do with it and if you race what class do you want to run.

If your wanting to run 10.5, 13.5, 0r 17.5 classes then a sensored system will work with those types of motors better. If your looking to run mod only then the Sensorless systems will work just as good and are cheaper. I only run mod classes so for me the Castle Sidewinder senorless system is cheap and works great plus when Castle has updates you can just download them to your speed control free of charge.

The Hobbywing would be a nice choice for a sensored system and is more adjustable than alot of other sensored setups that are out.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

My local club doesn't have any class/rules regarding motor, as long it is electric touring then you can join the race. Lots of my friends are using 5.5t hobbywing sensorless brushless, when i tried their car i can feel the cogging during start and at low speed. And i dont like the feel of it. Is there any 5.5t sensored brushless out there? I haven't check Castle creation yet as you prefered.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

the best ,smoothest ,most reliable sensored esc would be the lrp sphere but you can use any sensored motor with it. as far as motors i like many different ones lrp,novak,orion,hacker. the sphere costs a little more but in my opinion it is worth every penny.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

bottom line sensored is smoooooooooth!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:22 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

My local club doesn't have any class/rules regarding motor, as long it is electric touring then you can join the race. Lots of my friends are using 5.5t hobbywing sensorless brushless, when i tried their car i can feel the cogging during start and at low speed. And i dont like the feel of it. Is there any 5.5t sensored brushless out there? I haven't check Castle creation yet as you prefered.
If they are cogging at low speed with the Hobbywing or any other speedo out nowadays they don't have it setup right. If you cog with any brand something is wrong.

If they cog it is because of a weak battery or plugs on the battery are not good enough or the speedo is not setup correctly.

In 15 months my sensorless setup cogged one time and it was a bad plug. Brushless setups perform best when they are matched with a good lipo or a real high end NIMH. If you use low end batteries you will end up having problems.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have let many good racers drive my sensorless 7700 and 4600 Mamba Max over the last 4 years, they all said they can not tell it's not sensored. I had some cogging one time with an old 4000 lipo that was junk but even then it wasn't that bad.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info. You must be right coz my friend use mostly sport pack sub c batteries. Any advice which batts are good for sensorless brushless? I m thinking of getting LiPo pack to use, will 25C do?
Old 12-28-2008, 04:07 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info. You must be right coz my friend use mostly sport pack sub c batteries. Any advice which batts are good for sensorless brushless? I m thinking of getting LiPo pack to use, will 25C do?
Most lipos are going to work well for you. If money is tight the Yeah Racing packs seem to be alot of bang for the dollar. I have ran 4000 and 5000 packs from them and they run great. All the other brand packs like SMC, Orion, Trakpower, Thunder Power, Reedy, and Tekin would be fine. Just use good plugs with any of the packs from above and you would be fine. I ran Yeah Raing, Orion, Trakpower and SMC so far and all worked great.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What do you guys mean when you say "Cogging"? Are you referencing that the motor stutters upon accelerating?

Also, why would a motor "Cog"?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You need to understand that the C rating is directly connected to the mah capacity when your talking about battery performance and applications. There are several threads that deal with this topic. Just lettin' you know.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are a number of racers that run sensorless setups at our local track. The only time I've seen them "cog" is when they are running old NiMh batteries...

Jerome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.