Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
First time charing NiMH battery...questions?! >

First time charing NiMH battery...questions?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time charing NiMH battery...questions?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default First time charing NiMH battery...questions?!

Hi there
I"m anxiously awaiting my Rustler VXL...

In the mean time i've purchased a Lipo/NiMH/and everything else peak charger that also balances and a NIHM 7 cell 8.4v 3000 MaH battery....i was charging at 4.0amps and it took a total of about 45 mins...

i have two questions... when charging the battery for the first time - the voltage read 10.6X for most of it, I was under the impression that it was a 8.4v battery (though i'm aware that the 8.4 is a nominal rating...so certainly 10.6 seems ok?)
and the capacity stoped at 2554... is this normal? i guess i expected it to stop at closer to 3000?

thanks
matt
Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Unless you ran batt before charging, the batt prob had a partial charge - reason you didn't see more mah going in than you did. If you run the batt down til your rc noticeably slows, it will prob take closer to the level you're expecting.

Voltage is normal - good NiMH cell will show 1.3v and maybe a little more fresh off charger, so thats about 10.4v. Battery has an internal resistance - so voltage will always be a little higher since it has to overcome this internal resistance.