Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I just kill a lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Did I just kill a lipo?

I bought some intellect lipo stick packs that came with Tamyia plastic style connectors on them and I'm replacing them with Dean's plugs.

So, I get out the wire cutters and cut the plug off the battery - both wires (+ and -) in one go. ZAP! Of course I short out the battery as the wire cutter is metal and the + and - terminal of the battery are now connected. Smells something horrid and made a mess of the wire cutters too. Wires would have been in contact for about 2 secconds or less.

So, not having entirely cut off the plug yet, I hook up the battery to one of my cars still using a Taymia style plug. At first the nothing and I thought the battery was a gonner. But then the car came to life and operated just fine (for a 10 second test). I repeated this a couple of times and the car appears to work just fine.

Is this battery dead or should I continue to use it?
Will it flame out after prolonged use now that I have shorted it?
Is is now damaged and could possibly give an unstable current / voltage and ruin the electrics in the car?

Maybe I should post this in the Rookie zone as what not to do. I'll only ever make this mistake once...

Last edited by riene5; 09-12-2008 at 04:01 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 09-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

get a volt meter and see what you have at the plugs! if its where its supposed to be then you SHOULD be ok.... but do keep a close eye on it!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Should be ok, Ive seen bullet connectors touch (briefly) many times without causing any permanent damage. Watch it for the first couple of charges, maybe even charge them outside just in case. Also, if it starts to puff up then its time to get rid of it before something worse happens.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Incidents like this have been posted before and as long as it was only a few seconds, lipo should be ok. If it swells or puffs you'll know you damaged it. Don't think you were shorted long enough to drop it below min voltage, so it should be ok.