Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GTB heatsink question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Novak GTB heatsink question?

I saw a BL Novak speedo with a real small heatsink,it looked like just a cover it had a real low profile,no fins.I think it was specifically for 12th scale.I have a GTB with a big heatsink and was wondering if I could put that heatsink on my GTB so I can fit it in my 12th scale?Those two speedos looked identical minus the heatsink.Does 12th scale not need a large heatsink.I took of my heatsink and its smooth and purple on the bottom,i could cut off the fins and flip it.It would look cool like that,could even put the stickers back on then.Oh yeah ,could I buy just the orange case for that speedo?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I was chatting with some fellow racers the other day, and they were discussing how the 12th scale GTB was exactly the same as the regular GTB except for heatsink.

You could try removing the heat sink, but you'd have to find something to replace it with.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Company Representative

Keep in mind that the GTB w/ a top plate instead of a HS is rated for 4 NiMH cells only----even if you perform the modification yourself.

You can send your old GTB in and exchange it for the 4 cell version, if that's what you need to run.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Shades,I am planning on removing old heatsink and cutting fins off so its flush then installing heatsink upside down so the originanal bottom,which is all purple is what you see.Novak two,how do i get a new case,can I get it from a hobby shop by it self??What about using an older brushless,like the 5800,which is equivalent to 19 turn.On novaks site I believe it said not to use them.Also how do I tell which GTB I have???
Old 08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Company Representative

We generally don't encourage users to remove the heat sinks. There is a gap pad between the power mosfets and the HS. If all of this is not removed properly, the transistors will be damaged. In older controllers, the pad may have deteriorated and be difficult to remove.

We do not sell the cases separately. I don't understand your question about the 5800. The only way to tell which GTB you have is from the serial number.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

I am asking if the older 5800,I could be wrong about the number for the motor,but can I use the older 5800 BL motor with the GTB.I read on novaks site that they dont reccomend it.Is that motor worth getting or should I get a new 10.5?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Oh yeah,what do I have to do to get a case if I cant get one at a hobby shop?I have to send you my speedo?That seems like a hassle,if all I need is a part,that I can replace myself.Thanks for your replies Novak Two.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

intimidator,

For OVAL racing virutally EVERYONE takes the heatsink and FAN off their GTB's, and replaces them with an aftermarket cover that is about 1/8th inch thick.

Randy Smith from Big Boy Toys [email protected] makes a really sweet one.

When you remove the factory heat sink, make sure to do it carefully and don't destroy the heat transfer tape under the heat sink, you'll want to use that w/ the lower profile cover.

Charlie from NOVAK told us also a year or so ago, the electronics in the 4cell GTB was basically the same as the regular GTB (The 4 cell doesn't have the heat sink), but that ESC doesn't have removable wires (like the harness to the receiver) they are soldered onto the board instead...and some racers have found that to be fragile.

You should have NO problem running the older 5800 motor...you may have read something about not using them compared to newer ones WITH a 'Sintered Rotor' (Sintered rotors offer MORE power, and run cooler) The older motors can be upgraded with a 'Sintered Rotor' too, depending on how old, you may have one that requires a NEW front endbell kit too (they are available rotor and endbell as a complete kit.) Also, the 5800 motor I believe is a 8.5 motor (The newer size designation uses # of Winds vs. KV)

KV basically refers to how many RPM the motor turns PER VOLT with No Load on the motor. So a 5800 motor would turn approx 5800 RPM per volt, and with a 7.2-7.4v pack that would be close to 42,000 RPM, I usually see about 1/2 that 'under load' depending on what type of car and/or track I'm on.

..hope that helps...
Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Regular

So that motor cant run with the 19 turn guys?I have Komodo now,and was gonna put that in my 12L4.Can I put in a different rotor to make it a 19 turn?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Company Representative

Thanks, Joe....

Email [email protected], he can send you a case and gasket.