Wiki Posts
Search

Decent charger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Decent charger?

So, im tired of my MRC charger, and this thing looks really cool, and I love the case it comes in, will I regret buying this thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-6-Cells-Li-Po-...QQcmdZViewItem

how about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IMAX-B6-Balance-...QQcmdZViewItem

mmmm...and will I be able to get a wall adapter for this thing to plug it in? LMK!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There's a flood of these chargers hitting the market these days. They all seem to have the same logic boards and function the same but have varying graphics and cases.

Value Hobby in Oak Park IL is selling a similar charger called Loong-Max E6 for $69.99 with 3.99 shipping.

You'll need a decent switched power supply for any of these chargers and these sell for $20 to $300 depending on the amperage desired. Average around $100 for 10A to 20A. You could get by with a 5A but that would be stressed if you wish to charge anything over a 2S Lipo or 7 cell Nimh.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They are both 50watt chargers so any high cap lipo bigger than a 3S and you're not going to be able to charge it at 1C.

For a pwr supply, ProPeak makes a 20a unit that I bought for $65, think they're selling now for about $70.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

That Mystery charger looks pretty slick and the price is good as well. Nowhere in the auction does it state that the case is included though. Like what was said, just about all of these chargers come from the same factory with minor differences. I have a couple of Hyperion EOS 5I DP's that look identical to about three other chargers, but the software and the screen are a little better. But for $59 shipped for a balance charger with an aluminum case, you cant beat that. As long as you're not charging over 5000mAh they should be fine.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

What that charger you're talking about?

So I have to buy a power supply for one of these too? I only run nitro so I dont have any of those huge serious business batteries to charge, just Nimh, and I might buy some Tx/Rx lipo's some day
Old 08-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes, those a re DC chargers. The 1st one even talks about protecting a 12v car batt input source with a low voltage shut off.

You can buy a good AC/DC charger for less than $50, but some will not charge lipo - thats a diff charging protocol termed CC/CV. It is not a linear protocol like used for NiMH or NiCd. I started with a $50 Dtx Digital Piranha and it charged everything I needed - stick pacs for starters, AAs for tx, rx pacs etc. When I started using lipo, I bought another charger.