Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Tx pack charging help >

Tx pack charging help

Tx pack charging help

Old 08-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Tx pack charging help

Ok so I went against everyone elses opinion and bought one of those cheap 8 AA cell Tx packs, its 2500mAh, 9.6v. So anyways, I had to redo the connector, so I did that and went to plug it in, set my charger to .5 amps, and hit go. It immediately started jumping up very quickly until around 10.95, were it stopped moving. It sat there and did nothing for around 15 seconds, and then it dropped down to 10.94. So I got worried and unplugged it fromt he charger and hooked it up to my Radio. I turned the radio on and it turned on, and the voltage reading on the screen started dropping rapidly until the radio shutoff, that took aobut 5 second.

So what gives, bad pack? Do I need to let it sit there and charge? I hate batteries

http://www.3epower.com/servlet/the-1...RC-NiMH/Detail

That is the battery I bought^
Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

dude just let it sit there and charge, when it has finnished charging then put it in and see how it goes.

Mitchell
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I just don't trust it. I tried charging again, it got up to 10.98, then it just stopped going up. It eventually went down to 10.97, so I waited a bit longer, no change so I unplugged it. Anyone?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That sounds normal. It shouldn't go over that cause it's only a 9.6 volt pack. Seriously just let it do it's thing and then try it.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

It fine for it to go over 9.6v. Nimh cells will go over 1.2v ea when fully charged. The pack I have for my 3pk will go to almost 11v sometimes when fully charged.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

dude dont worry, just let is charge, a NIMH explosion wont casue to much damage, but that wont happen for a long time. let it charge, when the charger is done then use it.

Mitchell
Old 08-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Def let it charge - charger has to overcome teh batts internal resistance, so its voltage will always be higher than the batts voltage. You may need to cycle this pac a few times to get it to perform like its supposed too. Try it again and let it finish the charge.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

As long as it doesn't get hot to the touch you are probably OK.

Transmitter AA batteries frequently go up in voltage at first, then drop off a little as they warm up slightly, then charge for a while, and finally go up and peak. And get a little warmer, not uncomfortable to hold though. This is why some chargers have a lockout on the peak detect, like 3 minutes or so.

0.5 amps is good, that could take around 5 hours if the 2600mah pack is dead like it sounds it is.

Can you hook it up and charge out of the radio? That reduces a lot of worry. Why risk a radio over frickin' AAs even if you are comfortable with them in my opinion.