Wiki Posts
Search

Speed control

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile Speed control

Hi guys.

Wanting to buy a speed control, but which one? Maybe to run brushed snd brushless. What should i look for in a good one?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great topic! I'm just getting back into the hobby and want to upgrade my ESC and motors, am thinking BL and am considering the LRP Sphere TC and the Novak GTB Spread Spectrum, both handle BR and BL motors.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Both those are great choices, and you should be happy with either. You may also want to consider one of the Castle Creations ESC's.(Mamba Max or Sidewinder) both can handle brushless or brushed motors. Also you can't beat the price of either of them, with all the tuning options they provide.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by yzracer758
Both those are great choices, and you should be happy with either. You may also want to consider one of the Castle Creations ESC's.(Mamba Max or Sidewinder) both can handle brushless or brushed motors. Also you can't beat the price of either of them, with all the tuning options they provide.
Thanks man. Are those competition level ones or can they still be bought on a budget.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sirehan
Thanks man. Are those competition level ones or can they still be bought on a budget.

The Mamba Max is considered a "competition level" esc and the Sidewinder is more of a "backyard basher". Unless your really serious about racing and have to have the best, the sidewinder will be fine, especially if you get the Castle Link, which allows you to tune it via computer or laptop.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Suspended

It's always been my experience to always spend the most money you can on an item, especially electronics, so that you don't end up having to spend more money later when you think you might want to start competing or find the need to have competition worthy equipment because the lesser cost stuff let you down.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree with the above reply in terms of spending the most you can afford on electronics. It might be twice the price now, but in the long run you will prob spend less.

I'd recommend the LRP TC Spec, have owned 2 of these and have been relatively trouble free (one capacitor suspected dead and replaced, another is the power leads to the capacitor has broken for me a few times).

Someone I race with claims that 9 out of 10 Novak GTBs they sell at the hobby shop they work at come back dead for one reason or another, which hasnt happened with any of the LRP TC Specs they've sold.

-Mark
Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Suspended

then again, NOVAK does have undoubtably the best warranty/exchange program in the biz...........
Old 07-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Hi much of a risk is there to using non-Novak motors?

This is from the GTB User's manual:

"NOVAK BRUSHLESS MOTORS ONLY
When in the Brushless-Mode, the GTB speed control is specifically
designed for use with sensor-based Novak Brushless Motors Only!
You may replace motor with any Novak sensor-based motor or Novak approved motor--see website for up to date motor listings, updates, & compatibilities"
Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

The Novak XBR is a little cheaper than their GTB line and will do brushed and brushless. LRP's also got speedo's that will run both.

I do remeber a couple of threads dealing specifically with what BL motors will run with what BL speedo's. Searching will probably bring some up
Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

... just about a thousand of 'em to sort thru! I guess the Novak statement is to preserve the warranty....
Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default jeti esc

can anyone said something about this jeti advance car sport brushless esc, are they any good need some advice
Old 07-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
It's always been my experience to always spend the most money you can on an item, especially electronics, so that you don't end up having to spend more money later when you think you might want to start competing or find the need to have competition worthy equipment because the lesser cost stuff let you down.
The guy at the hobby shop gave me a Dynamite Tazer 15T, said it's good enough for stock and super-stock. I was also after something that I only need to buy once and maybe be able to run brushed and brushless.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Should be fine for both classes, it supports up to and including a 15T motor, but I don't think it supports BL motors. Is this your ESC -> http://www.dynamiterc.com/ProdInfo/F...10-manual.pdf?

Last edited by BobbyS; 07-17-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sirehan
The guy at the hobby shop gave me a Dynamite Tazer 15T, said it's good enough for stock and super-stock. I was also after something that I only need to buy once and maybe be able to run brushed and brushless.
While that should cover your usage of any brushed motor, I'm not aware that it's brushless compatible.