spektrum??

Old 07-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default spektrum??

i want to start racing rc again and need help on radio selection. i'm looking at spektrum dx3.0 . alot of people are raving over the dx3r and know it is nice, however i can get the dx3.0 for a bit less and get 2 recievers and 2 servos.
what are advantages of dx3r over dx3.0?? looking for some real world answers not just factory specs from websites. thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 PM

its lighter and runs on 1/2 the # of AAs. naturally more glitz and glam, functions etc.

sounds dumb, but make sure the radio u buy fits ur hand comfortably w/o any soreness after a full run. i found the dx line hurt badly before i switched over to AIR. granted the R is quite different. the 3.0 is hard to beat @ around 250bux and setup 2 cars. dont cinch and go w/the 2.0 waste of bread.

R
Old 07-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree, having a transmitter that feels comfortable in your hand is VERY important, IMO. Even over a 5 minute race, comfort can be vital, so all your concentration can be focused on your driving, & getting the right one from the start can save you a lot of money in the long run. As an example, I found the KO EX-1 Mars to be the most comfortable for my hands, & once I got one, I felt fine using it for over 7 years(& I only upgraded to an EX-10 Helios because I wanted to save some wear & tear on my Mars, so I can keep it indefinitely, & I've gotten similarly comfortable with my Helios, & with the plug in modules on both, they can be upgraded, like we did when the Spektrum conversions came along). If I were you, I would try out a few of the contenders first(just try holding one, playing with it a bit, ask the guys at your local track, most will be willing to help), get a feel for them, & see how you like the controls of them too, before you decide which to buy. I think if you go about it right, you'll have a strong radio that'll serve you well for YEARS to come....
Old 07-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

also don't put any value in the servo's that come with transmitters as they are crap. they will not last very long so don't get a lesser transmitter thinking you are getting a good deal due to the servo's. you'd be better of getting the better transmitter and servo's that suite what your doing. if its off-road you'll need atleast metal geared etc with around 180+oz for steering and not much less for braking....
Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brofroe View Post
i want to start racing rc again and need help on radio selection. i'm looking at spektrum dx3.0 . alot of people are raving over the dx3r and know it is nice, however i can get the dx3.0 for a bit less and get 2 recievers and 2 servos.
what are advantages of dx3r over dx3.0?? looking for some real world answers not just factory specs from websites. thanks in advance.
DX3R-
Reduced latency an faster framerates:
In a nutshell your car or truck will feel more responsive to your inputs

ModelMatch:
If you don't have the right profile selected from your menu the car will not function. Nice safety feature

30-Model Memory:
Control a larger fleet of vehicles all from 1 radio

Assignable Grip-Dial Functions:
You can assign they way you want your grip buttons to function. For example, I used a Helios/Z-1 for a long time before working with the DX3R. I got used to using the trim button to the right of the steering wheel be my brake-EPA adjustment. I was able to reassign this function to that same location on the 3R.

Menu System:
The DX3R features a larger display and a more graphical user interface that makes it, IMHO, an easier radio to navigate.

Ergonomics:
This is personal preference but I feel the DX3R is a more comfortable radio to hold and use than the DX3.0. Must of that is due it its lighter weight

DX3.0-
Included accessories:
The 3.0 includes a z590 and z270 servo. Not pro-level servos but really not bad for shabby. The 590 is metal gear as well

Telemetry-Compatible:
If you're looking to use telemetry, the DX3.0 is compatible with it out of the box. To use telemetry with the DX3R you'd need to use an SR3000 or SR3001 receiver

Model Memory:
The DX3.0 can store profiles for 4 models.

Price:
No way around it, the DX3.0 IS cheaper. But it als has fewer features
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the help guys.

RCGARYK said reduced latency. howmuch faster is it than 3.0? is it noticable on track?
I'm currently using AM. It's OK under 40-50 ft. past 50 ft and severe delay. you all know what i'm talking about. i want to feel connected to my car/truck at any distance but need to equip more than one rc. so in attemps to save some cash i'm leaning towards dx3.0.
my main question i guess is the speed difference between the two? a piece of a milli-second isn't worth $75 - one reciver, idon't think? either is faster than AM. right.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Arrow

I just bought the dx3.0 and i reckon it's pretty good. Like yourself i came from am world and the difference you will feel will be unbelievable. As for the difference between the 3.0 and the 3.0r i don't think you will be able to feel to much difference(just a thought as i have not used the dx3.0r just the dx3.0) unless you are a world champion or some kickass driver (though i'm not saying your not) but i doubt there is that much difference. Have a look at what you will be using it for eg: bashing, racing etc and work out what suits you and your budget the best.
Originally Posted by brofroe View Post
thanks for the help guys.

RCGARYK said reduced latency. howmuch faster is it than 3.0? is it noticable on track?
I'm currently using AM. It's OK under 40-50 ft. past 50 ft and severe delay. you all know what i'm talking about. i want to feel connected to my car/truck at any distance but need to equip more than one rc. so in attemps to save some cash i'm leaning towards dx3.0.
my main question i guess is the speed difference between the two? a piece of a milli-second isn't worth $75 - one reciver, idon't think? either is faster than AM. right.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks all for your input. yeah i went to a local track last night and tons of people were using dx3.0, dx2.0, and even dx2. i talked to most of them and they all loved theirs. so i'll be going with dx3.0.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RCGaryK View Post
DX3R-
30-Model Memory:
Control a larger fleet of vehicles all from 1 radio
I've yet to meet anyone that has a fleet of RCs that large, and if I ever did it would be my guess it was only because they broke them faster than they could fix them.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

yeah, i'm with ya on that. who can afford to maintain that many. i'm actually downsizing. the dx3.0 does 4 that's enough for me. and oh yeah i'm not that world class driver