Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbywing ESC's

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coaltrain
Its worse now. I lowered punch to level 1 and timing to 0 yesterday and it seemed pretty good. Today I charged and pluged the battery in and its undriveable, sputtering, cogging, no steering when I hit the throttle, etc.... I hooked the program box up and confirmed all the settings and its still at level 1 and 0 timing, and I have the smallest pinion on I can get. Any other ideas? Its the big blue 1/8 xerun with Novak HV 4.5 and 2s lipos(tried with 20/25/35c)
I have the 80 amp version (Big Blue Thing) and had the same problem as you, first I tried a cap on the receiver and that helped a little, then I tried two and that helped a little more and then I removed both of those and ran an external BEC and that did the trick but it still seemed to lack power, I picked up a mmp and know it runs like a rocket, I run the same setup as you, HV 4.5 on 2s, all I can think of is it must need 4s to power it properly, so I'll either keep it as backup for my 8th scale or sell it.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brighty
Sorry fellas I'm a little confused...do you buy the xerun system as version 2.1, or are they still selling as version 2.0 meaning you must updated the system after recieving it?
The picture is of the 2.0 but they are shipping the Blue 2.1. I just got one last week.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jnyrcr
I have the 80 amp version (Big Blue Thing) and had the same problem as you, first I tried a cap on the receiver and that helped a little, then I tried two and that helped a little more and then I removed both of those and ran an external BEC and that did the trick but it still seemed to lack power, I picked up a mmp and know it runs like a rocket, I run the same setup as you, HV 4.5 on 2s, all I can think of is it must need 4s to power it properly, so I'll either keep it as backup for my 8th scale or sell it.
I'm also using the 80A. Do you think a battery with a higher C rating would help? I'm new with electric and from what I have read a better battery may help resolve my issue. I had a GTB in it before I got the HW 80A and never had a problem, the capasitor was even disconnected and it ran fine. 65C + a Novak glitch buster cap?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What radio's are you guys using that are having the issues?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Are u uys calibrating ur escs to ur transmitters correctly?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bustanut666
hi all.. my xerun 120a is acting up now.. not sure if its repairable.. wanted to see if anyone has any input.. had it for over 2 years and yesterday.. it started going crazy.. when i turn it on.. car would go full throttle.. so i rebinded the esc and even receiver.. all settings on radio is at default 100%.. but still, when i turn on the esc, car goes full throttle.. so i put in another esc/motor and everything is fine.. question is, is this esc a goner?? or are there any tricks, maybe i could reflash the firmware on esc or even put on a newer firmware??
Ur esc needs to be recalibrated. Has less to do with the binding of ur receiver and more to do with what input ur esc is reading signal wise from ur transmitter.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coaltrain
I'm also using the 80A. Do you think a battery with a higher C rating would help? I'm new with electric and from what I have read a better battery may help resolve my issue. I had a GTB in it before I got the HW 80A and never had a problem, the capasitor was even disconnected and it ran fine. 65C + a Novak glitch buster cap?
I'm running a 5000mah 40c, and a spek radio, I'm really not sure what to think, I played with it for a day and tried different gearing and the glitch buster cap and then two of them and then finally put an external bec and that worked but it just seemed to lack power, put the mmp in and day and night, maybe need to update the software? I bought it like two weeks ago and tried it last week, the thing is huge, for what I paid for it I wasn't expecting a lot but it just didn't perform good enough to leave in it, I may try playing with it down the road in a 8th scale on 4s but not in a sct 4x4 again, just to big anyway.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by larlev
What radio's are you guys using that are having the issues?
Spectrum DX3S

Originally Posted by tonyv2382
Are u uys calibrating ur escs to ur transmitters correctly?
Yep. F/N/R all work fine, if I barely pull the throttle I can drive around and then progressively go faster and faster but if I just pull it(not even WOT) it stumbles and stutters. When its on the bench I can hammer on it and it only cogs once every 10 times, but as soon as there is a load its bad
Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Ur esc needs to be recalibrated. Has less to do with the binding of ur receiver and more to do with what input ur esc is reading signal wise from ur transmitter.
Yes. I believe so. Did it many times before. Hold down setup button and turn on esc. Leave neutral and press setup button. Flashes green once. Then pull throttle forward, press setup button, light flashes green 2. And do reverse throttle, setup button. Flashes 3 times. I even tried just leaving it in neutral and just pressing setup button 3 times. Just to see if it still goes crazy. No difference. Still goes full throttle for no reason. So I plugged in another esc and motor and it's fine. So I know it's not my radio and receiver. Must be the esc. And before I recalibrated esc I put back settings on radio to stock. No EPA/expo/etc. Sucks because price of xerun on hobbypartz 120a just went up.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Yes. I believe so. Did it many times before. Hold down setup button and turn on esc. Leave neutral and press setup button. Flashes green once. Then pull throttle forward, press setup button, light flashes green 2. And do reverse throttle, setup button. Flashes 3 times. I even tried just leaving it in neutral and just pressing setup button 3 times. Just to see if it still goes crazy. No difference. Still goes full throttle for no reason. So I plugged in another esc and motor and it's fine. So I know it's not my radio and receiver. Must be the esc. And before I recalibrated esc I put back settings on radio to stock. No EPA/expo/etc. Sucks because price of xerun on hobbypartz 120a just went up.
On the manual it says to set ur throttle trigger to "rev". The only time I experienced what your describing was when it was a bad calibration. Im pretty sure thats what it is. If not hey you said you had it for 2 years? thats not bad lol. Im not sure about your last step on the setup process. Review your manual something seems off with your calibration.

OK...first step= esc off...direction of throttle should be at "REV" before you go on. throttle trim at 0 and TH EPA at 100%.

Second step= hold down set button, and switch on esc and release the button asap.

Hopefully at this point u dont get the full throttle ur describing and if u do then u didnt release the button soon enough.

If all is good move on... Hit the set button itll beep.1 Beep
pull full throttle hit set..2 beeps
push full brake hit set....3beeps

at this point ur done..Switch off esc and transmitter...then restart and you should be good.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Just tried it again but with rev set for throttle. It was at normal before. But it's still doing the same thing. Guess it's a goner.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Just tried it again but with rev set for throttle. It was at normal before. But it's still doing the same thing. Guess it's a goner.
Nah its not i had the same thing happen to me. Soon as u tuen on the esc release the button asap and begin the process. It took me a while too but when i got it it was all good. I would start it and get that full throttle crap only when i didnt release the button in time.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Nah its not i had the same thing happen to me. Soon as u tuen on the esc release the button asap and begin the process. It took me a while too but when i got it it was all good. I would start it and get that full throttle crap only when i didnt release the button in time.
here is a video i made.. right after it is done recalibrating, throttle just goes full speed without me touching radio... i have to turn off the esc off right away.. and if i turn it back on, goes full throttle again...tried to recalibrate at least 20+ times already.. even did it with another receiver... radio is set at good settings as in manual... even tried different MODEL on radio m11....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIJGOMLomlQ
Old 09-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

So, I need figure something out. The batteries I've been using range from 20/25/35C. The manual says if the throttle cuts out use a higher quality battery. Does anyone think a 50-65C battery + adding a capacitor will solve my problem?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

here is a video i made.. right after it is done recalibrating, throttle just goes full speed without me touching radio... i have to turn off the esc off right away.. and if i turn it back on, goes full throttle again...tried to recalibrate at least 20+ times already.. even did it with another receiver... radio is set at good settings as in manual... even tried different MODEL on radio m11....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIJGOMLomlQ
I think your supposed to hold the trigger at full throttle and full brake while you push the button not just push it then set it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.