Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Batt/Servo setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Batt/Servo setup

Ok guys here is what I have. I have a 1/5th scale RC truck and right now it has a GWS S666 high tq servo in it. I have a 6v 2000mAh batt running through the Receiver to it. Now I want to add a second GWS S666 servo and an extra 6v 2000mAh batt to it. I know I can just run a Y harness to both servos to connect them to the receiver but how do I connect both batts to the system without damaging the receiver? Do I just use a Y harness from the two batts to the receiver and it will be fine? Or do I run one batt to the receiver and tie the other batt in after the receiver?? Any help would be great!!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

The issue I think you will have, assuming you are planning on adding the batts in parallel to add capacity/run time, with a Y harness/connection, is matching the voltages of the 2 packs. Any voltage imbalance between the batteries when they are connected would potentially result in a lot of current between the packs, generating a lot of heat and possibly connector, wiring, and or battery damage or worse. If it would work at all, the packs would need to be very similar, including condition, and charged and ran together. Possibly left connected together even during storage, but I'm not sure. As long as the batteries are matched the receiver should be OK.

Your best bet might be to just go for a new 4000mAh or so pack. If packaging and or balance is an issue perhaps split the cells up some.

If you are thinking a serial connection, adding voltage, it would almost surely fry the servos and receiver with the resulting 12 volts.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Well i have two 6v 2000mah batts that are the same. i was just going to use a y harness to connect the two batts together. so if there are two batts ran together, i am assuming this is in parallel, will it come to the reciever 6v 4000mah or 12v 4000mah?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

6V 4000mah. Charge them as close as possible, ideally with 2 chargers at once. If not, perhaps wait until the second battery cools off some. Then hook 'em up, and monitor temps for a while. If they and the wiring and connectors don't heat up after a few minutes you are probably allright. Once they are balanced from intially connecting, they should be OK as you discharge them, they will tend to self balance.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I would discharge both batteries using 2057 bulbs or what ever you have; this way if there is an imbalance both packs really don't have much energy left in them. Then I would parallel both batteries then charge them together.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

I agree, seems reasonable.