Wiki Posts
Search

esc glitching

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default esc glitching

I finally got my setup put together and took it outside to run it up and down the street for the first time.

I have a JR xs3pro synth radio system and am using a novak xbr brushless.

I set the novak up by the paper work on profile 2 which is no reverse, 5% dead band and 1% min. drive.

when the car is 3ft or so from me the little red led is on and I drive away, when I slow or coast to turn the buggy around to come back towards me if it is more than 10-15ft away from me the led light will either flicker or be off totally and the buggy won't move. but if I give the steering a "wiggle" the led will come on and I can then proceed to drive the car back to me or where ever I choose until I let off of the throttle again and its more than 10-15ft away.

I have the antenna fully extended on the radio, fresh batts in the radio, fully charged pack in buggy, the antenna on receiver is fully sticking up in the air, no nicks or cuts on it and it hasn't been trimmed or cut.

The receiver is on the "passenger" side of the buggy, then the battery pack then the esc is on the "driver's" side. I have unplugged and plugged the wires on the esc and receiver. I originally had the wires running through the batt tray under the pack like losi says to do, and then tried routing the wires over the battery pack to the receiver to see if that helped with no luck.

I am new to brushless setups and the JR XS3 pro also. last time I ran an RC was several years ago when Futaba Magnum was just comming out. (yeah, I know, I'm old....) and had everything in the same place then, as I do now with no problems.

I also went through the throttle/ brake setup 3 different times with no luck.

Any and all help, comments and suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Throttle trim

Every time I've had that happen, it's either been my throttle trim that I needed to adjust or I had a bad ESC. I know you said that you adjusted that but just giving you my two cents.......
Old 03-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't have any advice (yet) on what is wrong, but I thought I'd reassure you this works. I have 5 Associated B4 buggies in this exact setup. 3 have the GTB, 2 have the XBR. I use 1 XS3 Pro and 4 XS3 radios. I have run both lipo and 6-cell batteries. I don't have any problems as you describe.

One idea - is the buggy chassis composite or carbon? Might be the antenna touching something conductive? I don't know the losi buggies.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Whatchamacallit
Every time I've had that happen, it's either been my throttle trim that I needed to adjust or I had a bad ESC. I know you said that you adjusted that but just giving you my two cents.......
I am a newbie to the JR system so It might very well be just that. I have a buddy about 2hours away that I am going to attempt to meet sometime this week and get everything ironed out. And he is going to set the radio up for me and save different setups since it has several model memories. Plus I am gonna talk him into doing some soldering for me.... I can solder wires but those dean plugs get me everytime, so right now just to play around with it I am using the tamiya connectors that came with the packs...
Old 03-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

good advice.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Default One other thing.......

You might want to try setting all your throttle trim settings to "zero" and then run thru the programming sequence on your ESC again so that the ESC gets the base throttle setting from your receiver again.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

You havent mentioned what chassis your running which might help explain the issues your having. As Rob_D said, if your running a carbon chassis they can sometimes carry electric energy through the chassis.

If your running saddle type battery packs they can short out on the chassis and cause a flow of energy through the chassis. The Tamiya connectors wont be helping you much either.

Something else you can try is to mount your receiver on its side with the bottom facing the the battery and/or esc. This will help to shield or suppress some of that electric energy that passes through the chassis. We've had a few guys complain about this same problem wit their Syth radios at our local track and this has usually cured the problem.

Also try changing frequencies on the radio and see if that helps.

If you still have some problems try getting a Novak (or similar brand) Glitch Buster for the receiver.