Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Mixing standard servos with a digital system? >

Mixing standard servos with a digital system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mixing standard servos with a digital system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Exclamation Mixing standard servos with a digital system?

Hello every1

I've been in RC for a long time, but this is my 1st digital system. I've got an AE XP3D, and I'm curious - can I use non-digital servos with this? Will it fry my receiver or the servo or both? If not, I can live with the consequence of non-digital servo capabilities.

It's the 1st time I got a digital system, and if I'm repeating a previous post, then I apologize. I always ran a simple Magnum Jr, till now. Plz help?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Shouldn't be a problem. I've had various servos for 20 years, they all work with every radio I've had, including new Spektrums in my case. The only issue I know of is the frame rate setting on the Spek DX3R. The default set up works, but it does have a faster rate available for digital servos only.

Oh, and if you have real old servos, especially my age or more, and not Futaba, remember to check the order of the servo wiring.

The other way around might be more of a problem. The hotter digital servos use more power, some older ESCs might struggle to provide enough power for some of the more powerful servos.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Good deal. I ran my BMW Mini Cooper last night w/ a standard one, and it worked just fine. I also got my digital servo in the mail today. After I installed that one I could see the difference right away (faster & much more sensitive.)

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to have much more fun w/ the digital setup than my old Magnum Jr.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Both Analog servo and Digital servo, use plus width signal. Which is Analog, Not Digital!!

The plus width is 1300(us)ns as the center point. The range is from 1000us-2000us, servo moves from one end to another for Digital Servo.

Even a "written" AM system today uses PPM modulation as its in a FM system, so even most AM system can be use with digital servo. as long as the center plus width is within range. Old AM system use a different plus range, so they may not work because out of range signal.

The Digital Servo, which is called because it uses a digital control board to continuously move the servo motor back and forward to hold a better/stronger center point and have much better initial torque when the servo start movement. it has nothing to do with the FM or AM system.

Digital Servo have much better Holding Power, but it’s very Power Consuming even with no outer servo movement. Digital servo is mostly used when torque and respond which are important.

Some racer like to use a Analog servo, because it’s more smooth while initial steering moment (less wheel hopping on lower traction surface).
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Experience has shown that using regular servos in a high frame rate can cause servo failure. I have seen it happen about three times so far. But using them in a regular frame rate is fine. High frame rates like HRS mode in Futaba radios, should only be used with digital servos.