Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
IS IT POSSIBLE TO INSTALL A BALANCING HARNESS >

IS IT POSSIBLE TO INSTALL A BALANCING HARNESS

IS IT POSSIBLE TO INSTALL A BALANCING HARNESS

Old 02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default IS IT POSSIBLE TO INSTALL A BALANCING HARNESS

I have a question about some lipo batteries that i have. They don't have a balancing harness and was wondering if it is possible to install a balancing harness onto these batteries. I was also wondering if it is possible do install a harness is there anyone who would be able to offer this service.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by meronr View Post
I have a question about some lipo batteries that i have. They don't have a balancing harness and was wondering if it is possible to install a balancing harness onto these batteries. I was also wondering if it is possible do install a harness is there anyone who would be able to offer this service.
How about using some Velcro Straps?You can use them to hold the lipos down anywhere to balance it out.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wow, I feel like I'm at RCU.

All a balancing harness is, is a set of wires going from the positive of cell#1, the connection between cell 1&2, and the negative of 2, for a 2S pack.
That allows your balancer to read the voltage of each individual cell. Which wire is which on different harnesses depends on the balancer and tap.
All you need is a soldering setup, a tap and some patience.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

If you are talking about lipo transmitter packs.I was told from a reliable source that these packs do not need to be balanced. Transmitter lipo packs have very little current draw and hardly ever generate any heat when discharging; it's not neceissary to balance these packs. But to install a balance plug is not hard. You just have to make sure not to short the leads out. A very bad thing to do with a lipo.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

rubber bands might do the trick,dont worry about the voltage just make sure the battery doesnt fall out of the car because then you will have to walk all the way down the street to plug it back in.

Just Joking.

The best way to balance your lipos is putting on the end of a broomstick and balncing the broomstick on your finger tip.check the voltage with a meter.if one is higher than the other put it on the charger to bring it up to the same # as the other one.

if that doesnt work,ask your mom for a hair pin,a paper clip and some string then get back to me for more help.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So if that balancing plug on the lipos has plugged in all (-) and (+) of all individual cells in a LIPO battery then i could plug my charger to each one and charge them separately.
OR charge the pack up to 3/4 of full charge and then charge individually...this way we charge faster.

Can this be done?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Tech Adept

You can charge the cells individually, many people do this instead of using a balancer. It won't be faster than charging the pack normally though.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If we only need to balance once every 3-4 charges then this won't be a problem.
I suppose!!