Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Want to instantly fry your Novak GTB Spread Spectrum? >

Want to instantly fry your Novak GTB Spread Spectrum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to instantly fry your Novak GTB Spread Spectrum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OSherman
I would try your experiment with another servo at the least.. Possibly another Reciever..
the first time this happened was on a different RX. I'm sending servo/esc and motor to Novak. I've got the the issue logged over there, I guess we'll see what they say!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Interesting, I do this all the time. When the race before me is on the track I put in my battery, connect it up, put on the body and crank the wheels by hand to full left or right depending what kind of mood I am in. The reason I do this is I have a MX-3 FHSS and it sometimes takes a few seconds to sync up when I turn on the ESC switch. When the wheels center themselves I know the connection between TX and RX has been made when I turn on the ESC switch.

I don't recall which servo I have offhand, but it is the Airtronics .11ms speed, 200oz servo. The other gear is a GTB ESC with a 7.5 Velocity. The raidio is a MX-3 FHSS with stock receiver.

Last edited by TwistedDog; 01-25-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Phat phingers *sigh*
Old 01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TwistedDog
Interesting, I do this all the time. When the race before me is on the track I put in my battery, connect it up, put on the body and crank the wheels by hand to full left or right depending what kind of mood I am in. The reason I do this is I have a MX-3 FHSS and it sometimes takes a few seconds to sync up when I turn on the ESC switch. When the wheels center themselves I know the connection between TX and RX has been made when I turn on the ESC switch.

I don't recall which servo I have offhand, but it is the Airtronics .11ms speed, 200oz servo. The other gear is a GTB ESC with a 7.5 Velocity. The raidio is a MX-3 FHSS with stock receiver.
Is it the Spread Spectrum edition? I know they had a major redesign with the Spread Spectrum. Just curious, thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeQ
No, this isn't mis-wired. The servo runs fine, you have a very similar setup but you didn't say what Servo? Mine is a DS1015, it's very high power and high torque.

Again, this is the second GTB SS that has fried. My first run ever I ran up and down the street for 5-10 minutes, everything was fine. I came inside to adjust some linkage, switched the power off and moved wheels by hand. My ESC popped. Sent in for warranty. I just got it back and plugged everything in, I didn't even wire it myself this time as it came directly from novak 'pre tested'. I turned it on, gave the motor a quick test (wheels spin).

Because I had feeling but wasn't 100% sure, that the original issue was related to the steering servo, I tried it again, and instantly it popped and smoked.

So I believe it has to do with the DS1015 generating a high voltage. Perhaps I'll get a volt meter out and test it.

I know it may be hard to believe, but with this specific setup, there is clearly a problem.

DS1015
Spektrum RX
Novak GTB SS
2s LIPO
+ ESC Switch off
+ Battery Plugged in
+ Wiggle Steering Servo
-----------------------
Smoke and bad things
I DID say what kind of servo I had. I said a Futaba s9550 servo. You need to try a different servo. What kind of car is this in? Can you take pics of your setup? Maybe we can spot something you can't. Just trying to help you out. Seems odd you are having this problem. I tried what you did and NO problems for me. But I do not run the same servo as you.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:54 AM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

So seeing as my GTB is blown up, you think I should get a new GTB and try it again with a different servo? =)

I moved the servo into my other cars for the time being and it's running fine.

Later
Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi TeQ, just to let you know you are not alone with your problem,
I have a LI-Po enabled GTB running with orion 4800li-po a KO 2173 fet servo and spektrum receiver, exactly the same happened to me --- battery plugged in esc switched off and I moved the front wheels by hand side to side (I actually picked the car up with the front wheels which caused the movement) and hey presto esc went up in smoke big time.

Please let me know if you have any results with Novak.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (93%+)

wow u think there would be tons of people with this problem. maybe a certin batch of the speedo's
Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 AM

Hi just to let you know I had the same problem as well battery connected speedo off and moved the steering by hand (S9550) and poof up in smoke!!!
Got the product replaced hasnt happened again (Keeps fingers crossed!!!)
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I wonder if this is problem is just isolated to high powered servos. My SS has not done this either, but then again I just use $40 cheepo servos too. On these high powered servos is there a capacitor inside, or something that holds enough voltage to make it discharge if you move it. I'm assuming when its at rest it shows no voltage at all. Maybe a back feed is going on killing the BEC circuit. Hopefully novak can tell you what is going on so that we all know what to look for.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey whats up

today at the track i had my car off and turned the whells left and right, each turn made a blue light on my sphere go on and off. the battery was connected but the switch was off. i have an airtronics servo 94357 and a 10.5 orion motor. i showed my buddy and we could not figure it out. all i can think is mabye the cappacitor still had juice in it. nothing broke on mine,but still kind of curious.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Pleeeeeaaaassseeee....LOL...enough with the magical thinking.

A few milliamps isn't going to smoke an ESC. Maybe make a little LED blink, but not smoke an ESC. A "high power" servo is virtually the same as a regular servo, it just has lower gears. That's why they're slower. The motor is driven through a speed control, just like the drive motor, it's not directly connected to the servo leads...it's also not an efficient enough generator to make and significant voltage at such a low RPM.

This board would be so much better off if people in the electronics forum knew even a tiny bit about electronics...LOL They *do* offer classes at the local JC and they're really reasonable. :sneaky"
Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

The theory right now is that negative voltage from the servo is popping the newer design found in the Spread Spectrum GTB.

For the record, if you plug in a LED light to your servo (in the right direction) you can get it to light up easily by turning the servo. I measure the DS1015 and also some smaller servos voltage and was able to read +/- 4v. The servo itself didn't seem to have a greater voltage than any of the other 5 servos in my collection. All of the servos represent low end-middle-high end. I assume this problem can be found on all SS GTB models. I also assume that some companies handle it better than others.

Hoobipro and Jnl, are you both running lipo?

Peace
Old 01-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Time for another theory.

I just ran mine back and forth through 30 cycles...full throw each way. SS GTB, Spektrum and a 94758 Airtronics servo...a super-badass servo (.06/115), Lipo...you name it. Want me to run it another 50 times?

It's your servo shorting out the BEC. Get a better servo. Buy a piece of crap, you get problems. That's how it works.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Time for another theory.

I just ran mine back and forth through 30 cycles...full throw each way. SS GTB, Spektrum and a 94758 Airtronics servo...a super-badass servo (.06/115), Lipo...you name it. Want me to run it another 50 times?

It's your servo shorting out the BEC. Get a better servo. Buy a piece of crap, you get problems. That's how it works.
So Ko Propo fet servos are crap as you so say, could it just be that you may have an esc that is not affectedand that your electronic knowledge is so great that you can discount any possibility that the fault several people have encountered is not possible (brave man).
And yeah run it another 50 times I hope it does go up in smoke
By the way I am an electrical engineer
Old 01-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

Easy, get this, no more problems
Attached Thumbnails Want to instantly fry your Novak GTB Spread Spectrum?-lrp80750.200.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.