Wiki Posts
Search

muchmore vs ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default muchmore vs ice

ok i need help. i need to know what charger is the better charger for the money?? i know everybody likes the ice but what about muchmore?? i dont know anything about muchmore so any help would be great. thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Muchmore is an ICE with more features such as a backlit display and high and better discharge options, and I believe there is some small difference with the motor runin feature. Thing is, some people have had a problem with the Muchmore failing in discharge mode. I took the risk anyhow and got one, but as of now I affraid to do much discharging with it but eventually I will. If you're not going to do any discharging with your charger just save $50 and get yourself the ICE.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

ok thanks. i tried to find some info on here but i didn't come up with alot. i do plan to discharge. i like checkpoint too but they have some problems with the discharge. any else have the same problem?? muchmore got a new charger out maybe they worked out the problem??
Old 01-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

anyone else????
Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twan
anyone else????
We have a racer at are shop that has 2 Checkpoints to go back with discharging issues. Everything else works but it seems that using 30 pulse discharge setup on the Checkpoint is hard on them.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ike
The Muchmore is an ICE with more features such as a backlit display and high and better discharge options, and I believe there is some small difference with the motor runin feature. Thing is, some people have had a problem with the Muchmore failing in discharge mode. I took the risk anyhow and got one, but as of now I affraid to do much discharging with it but eventually I will. If you're not going to do any discharging with your charger just save $50 and get yourself the ICE.
No, no, no! The Much More and the ICE are unrelated. The charger you're thinking of is the Checkpoint TC1030. There have been a few issues with it. I had one and had it fail. I returned it, got a refund and bought an LRP Pulsar Competiton 3 - which I'm quite happy with. The LRP does more than the Much More charger as it has a volt out feature which the much more does not. Simple to set up and use too. You should also consider the LRP charger.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the cell master is a very good nimh charger but ass soon as u ad lipo to ur race packs ur stuck with a 1 amp charge rate.
ice is good imo the mv is a bit high for 4200nimh packs (bit hot here in aus) but apart from that pretty good.
checkpoint has proved to have discharge issues but has the major refinements the ice is lacking backlit screen lower mv, 2c lipo charge.
if i were u and u can stretch your budget the eagle or integy depends if u order from japan or usa, cdc7 or climate controlled charger. pretty much a checkpoint with a 20 amp linear discharge and a few other nice fetures. worth it imo
Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Much More has the new Much More Silent Charger out which is able to charge Lipo's at a higher rate. Personally, I would never use my high dollar charger for discharging. I would buy a separate discharger. But if you go Lipo, you don't need to worry about discharging. Also, the ICE has a 5 year warranty now on new units.
idbdoug
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swanny
No, no, no! The Much More and the ICE are unrelated. The charger you're thinking of is the Checkpoint TC1030. There have been a few issues with it. I had one and had it fail. I returned it, got a refund and bought an LRP Pulsar Competiton 3 - which I'm quite happy with. The LRP does more than the Much More charger as it has a volt out feature which the much more does not. Simple to set up and use too. You should also consider the LRP charger.
LOL, Ya know what happened to me, I read abot the tc1030 doing that so i bought 2 pulsar 3's cause i had 2 pulsars prior and one of the new pulsar 3's i bought crapped out in 3 days. The screen only, still charged. So i only have 1 charger now as i wait patiently for lrp to send my charger back. they have had it since beginning of december. I am getting alittle pissed now though cause i called them and he they gave me some speil about they have been busy the past couple weeks with other things and they gotta see if they will cover it under warranty. Better have that charger back by the 30th of jan. i tink 60 days is adaquate to wait for a repair although they should have sent me a new one off the bat. The other one works great and is very simple to use. Love my 1 working pulsar 3. Hurry up lrp, you are inconviencing me with you service.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

ok so i guess they all have problems. if ice came out with a backlit model i would not be doing this. i guess ice is the way to go. anyone else?????
Old 01-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

i was gonna get a ice, but i like the pulsar 3 better. i use a ice when my friend doesnt go to the track. it's not as fast and simple in operation.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ike

Major brainfart here... For some reason I registered Checkpoint when I saw Much More.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

funny. it happens
Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default muchmore vs. ice

I currently have a muchmore cellmaster and a checkpoint tc1030. The cellmaster is great for NIMH, but if you intend to charge lipo's or just want a great all around charger the checkpoint is GREAT.

I have also heard the discharge problems and here is what i would say. The charger is way too small to discharge at a 20 or 30 amp rate. Not enough of a heatsink to keep it cool so my suggestions would be .

1. change the setting so the fans run all the time on the checkpoint.
2. get a real discharger such as the novak smart tray to discharge.
3. if you must discharge w/the checkpoint use an external fan to help keep cool and keep in a well ventalated area.
4. enjoy one of the best chargers on the market!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the info. i am going to be using lipos too. i like the checkpoint, Hyperion & the new muchmore. the ice is getting iced i think. lol