Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How to set arc functions? >

How to set arc functions?

How to set arc functions?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default How to set arc functions?

Hey guys I have a Airtronics MX-3 FHSS and am looking to make some adjustments. I want to change the ARC Steering and ARC Throttle.

For the ARC Steering - I want the steering to be slightly slower in the begining of the travel. I find I try to turn a little bit and the car turns more then I want. So do I set a negative or positive value? And the value from 1-100 is percent of trigger pull right? Can you change how drastic the slowing down is or no? So if it is set to 20% it will be slower until 20% and then go to regular speed?

For the ARC Throttle - Is it possible with an electric car or is that only for nitro cars that use a servo for throttle? If it is possible I am looking to get more power faster. So say the first 20% it gives more throttle then normal and then goes to regular. Would that be a positive or negative value?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Thats a question I would like answered too...

I've just brought one (early xmas presi) getting ready for the start of next years season.

Cheers
Old 12-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

anyone know?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For the steering put negative exponetial to slow down the steering at center. To make the throttle more responsive put positive exponential so it will get to full throttle much earlier in the trigger.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The ARC funtion is somewhat similar to expo, the difference is that expo gives a curved response to the input of the wheel or trigger, where ARC gives a dual-slope response. As with expo, a negative rate value makes the reponse to the initial movement of the wheel or trigger milder, then the response increases at the point in the wheel or trigger travel corresponding to the "point" setting... The higher the "point" setting value, the further along the wheel or trigger travel before the response increases.

For example, if you wanted a softer response to the initial movement of the steering wheel, you'd set a negative number for the "rate". Changing the "rate" number will dictate how soft the initial response to the wheel is. If you tried -20, let's say, and wanted even softer response, you'd then try something like -25 or -30 until you get to where you like the feel.

Now you decide where in the travel you'd like the response to increase. The higher the "point" number, the further along the travel you'd go before you felt the increased response. If, for example, you find yourself thinking that the steering feels good off neutral, but you're moving the wheel too far before the response picks up, you'd try a lower value for "point" to make the quicker response start happening earlier in the travel.

To answer the specific questions in the original post:
For the ARC Steering - I want the steering to be slightly slower in the begining of the travel. I find I try to turn a little bit and the car turns more then I want. So do I set a negative or positive value? And the value from 1-100 is percent of trigger pull right? Can you change how drastic the slowing down is or no? So if it is set to 20% it will be slower until 20% and then go to regular speed?
You'd set a negative value for "rate" for initial tests I'd suggest -20 or so on rate. I'd set the "point" to 50, so the rate will increase from the lower value
to normal at the 50 percent point of the wheel travel. Adjust from there to suit your taste.

For the ARC Throttle - Is it possible with an electric car or is that only for nitro cars that use a servo for throttle? If it is possible I am looking to get more power faster. So say the first 20% it gives more throttle then normal and then goes to regular. Would that be a positive or negative value?
Yes it works for electric OR nitro. To get more power earlier in the trigger pull, you'd set a positive value for the "rate" number, then set the "point" value for the place in the trigger travel where you want the normal response to come in, for example 50 would be at half trigger.

Remember you have to set ARC to enabled before you'll actually feel any changes... the function is inhibited by default. I've only used the Caliber, M8 and M11, so I don't have specific knowledge of the MX-3, but on the M11 you can set the ARC function independently for the throttle and brake sides of the trigger. I'd guess the MX-3 as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Ok. Thanks for the responses. I pretty much understand everything you said except the "point" versus "rate".

I do not think the MX-3 has an expo adjustment. What I see is D/R, EPA (aux, throttle and steering), ARC (steering and throttle), Sub-T (steering and throttle).

You say

Originally Posted by Trips View Post
For example, if you wanted a softer response to the initial movement of the steering wheel, you'd set a negative number for the "rate". Changing the "rate" number will dictate how soft the initial response to the wheel is. If you tried -20, let's say, and wanted even softer response, you'd then try something like -25 or -30 until you get to where you like the feel.

Now you decide where in the travel you'd like the response to increase. The higher the "point" number, the further along the travel you'd go before you felt the increased response. If, for example, you find yourself thinking that the steering feels good off neutral, but you're moving the wheel too far before the response picks up, you'd try a lower value for "point" to make the quicker response start happening earlier in the travel.
I understand exactly what you are saying. So what adjusts "point" and what adjusts "rate"? I think with the MX-3 you only have the ability to adjust the point at which the change happens and not how drastic the change is. So does ARC correspond to "point"?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Give me a minute or two and I'll see if I can get an answer that directly applies to your MX-3.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Hi again...

I looked at the MX-3 manual online and it seemed to only have one number, not both point and rate... I then called Airtronics tech support to be sure, and they told me the MX-3 doesn't have both settings, the setting is for the rate, not the point. So, by changing the value, you're changing the initial response rate to the wheel or trigger movement, not the point in the wheel or trigger movement where the change occurs. So, for a softer initial steeriing response, you'd set the number to a negative value, the bigger the negative value, the softer the initial response. When you get to around the mid point of the steering wheel movement, you should notice the response rate increase. For the throtle, you said you want a sharper initial response, so you'd set that to a positive value. The higher the value, the sharper the initial response, then at around half trigger the response drops off to normal for the rest of the way. The ARC value you specify for steering applies to both left and right turns equally, for throttle it only applies to the throttle side of the trigger pull... the brake side remains linear. The brake endpoint will serve to get the braking feel you want, but if we're talking an electric car, you want to set the endpoints to full (or whatever the speed control manufacturer specifies) and calibrate the speed control to the transmitter BEFORE changing the brake endpoint to suit your driving style or preferred feel... if you change the endpoint before calibrating the speed control, the speed control will calibrate itself to give full braking at whatever endpoint it "sees" during the calibration...

Hope that helped...
Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Hi again...

I looked at the MX-3 manual online and it seemed to only have one number, not both point and rate... I then called Airtronics tech support to be sure, and they told me the MX-3 doesn't have both settings, the setting is for the rate, not the point. So, by changing the value, you're changing the initial response rate to the wheel or trigger movement, not the point in the wheel or trigger movement where the change occurs. So, for a softer initial steeriing response, you'd set the number to a negative value, the bigger the negative value, the softer the initial response. When you get to around the mid point of the steering wheel movement, you should notice the response rate increase. For the throtle, you said you want a sharper initial response, so you'd set that to a positive value. The higher the value, the sharper the initial response, then at around half trigger the response drops off to normal for the rest of the way. The ARC value you specify for steering applies to both left and right turns equally, for throttle it only applies to the throttle side of the trigger pull... the brake side remains linear. The brake endpoint will serve to get the braking feel you want, but if we're talking an electric car, you want to set the endpoints to full (or whatever the speed control manufacturer specifies) and calibrate the speed control to the transmitter BEFORE changing the brake endpoint to suit your driving style or preferred feel... if you change the endpoint before calibrating the speed control, the speed control will calibrate itself to give full braking at whatever endpoint it "sees" during the calibration...

Hope that helped...

Yes it did. Thanks for going through the trouble
Old 12-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

No trouble at all... enjoy!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default good info

tiz is a very valuable information for me...tq