Wiki Posts
Search

:: 3PM 2.4GHz FAASTusers ::

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default :: 3PM 2.4GHz FAASTusers ::

Just wondering if performancewise there really is any difference in the 3PM and 3PK systems?

Outside of having a bunch of more features on the higher end 3PKs is the 3PM 2.4 radio just as reliable and "FAAST"? I've been looking into getting a 2.4 system but have only seen trouble with Spektrum stuff online and locally.

I have a KO Propo Helios I'm debating getting rid of to use the 3PM 2.4. It's low cost and seems nice.

Just looking for opinions and feedback from guys using it.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have both Radios and I can honestly say there is no real performance difference between them. They have a different feel when you're holding them (balance), but you get used to both real quick.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The difference is in the programability of the functins and the 3PM Rx is the single antenna type rather than the dual antenna in the 3PK version.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Default 3PM 2.4ghz user

Hi, I have used the 3PM 2.4GHz and all I can say is ... it is a great radio for the price... I haven't use a 3PK and don't think I need to use any of the more advance function as of now. Just won the 1st National Saudi electric touring modified class with the 3PM... Cheers
Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AreCee
The difference is in the programability of the functins and the 3PM Rx is the single antenna type rather than the dual antenna in the 3PK version.

What's up AreCee...

What does that mean/do...the dual and/or single antenna setup.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nexus
What does that mean/do...the dual and/or single antenna setup.

Nexus....the receiver that goes with the 3PK System has two antennas in the receiver....One external and one internal. The Receiver that comes with the 3PM only has one antenna and its external.....other then that they are both the same. Ok an easy way to explain this is 2.4 systems have a flaw that they only work in 2 dimension sorta...now most times for cars and boats that’s not an issue. But if your car takes jumps or flips over and enters the 3 directional dimensions you can have issues. Early Spektrum systems had this issue when a car would flip over they would shut off because the two antennas (rec and radio) would loose contact for a split second and they would go into fail safe. All you need to do is to look at the new Airplane 2.4 radios and you will see that the receivers that come with them have 4 or more antennas to solve this issue....as airplanes move in all 3 dimensions. I have yet to have this happen with my 3PM and I use both receivers with mine.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Kevin,

According to your explanation every time my buggy would flip I would lose signal. That's not true since I can crash any direction I want and still be going full throttle trying to save it!

Two antennas is simply redundancy for signal. The single antenna RX is just the low cost option to pair with the 3PM for drivers looking for the low budget system.

Socko
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Both of you guys are right, I think.

Jonny is correct about the antenna redundancy. Kevin is correct that the early versions of the Spektrum Rx would fail-safe on carpet due to static electricity.

Nexus, what's up? Is Nov. 4th at UG or Strictly?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Champion

Socko....The way it was explained to me is that with the Futaba system you wouldn’t have seen this happen as they use a different way to go about getting the 2.4 signal. With the Spektrum systems early on this was an issue....its not anymore. When Off-road guys were using them if they would crash in such a way they would go into fail safe....just like on road guys would when the car would roll over....no static charge I that’s an excuse for what really was going on and that was poor knowledge of what was happening. Basically if the antennas would be pointed away from each other for a spilt second that would induce the fail safe. The newer systems from Spektrum don’t have this happen any more....and the FASST systems never did from what I have seen.

Dave….There is no static charge if that was the case we would have all kinds of static related issues with the cars racing on carpet and that’s not the case. I have never seen any thing static related to racing on carpet in all my years. Plus I think Ozite is static free carpet thats why its used in offices alot.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Kevin, I stand corrected.

I've only used my original Spekrum Rx for off-road and never experienced any problems or loss of connection. I used the spektrum Rx on carpet when racing my RC18 and as before never experienced any problems.

I was just relaying an article that I saw on the Horizon (Spektrum) website.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Socko....The way it was explained to me is that with the Futaba system you wouldn’t have seen this happen as they use a different way to go about getting the 2.4 signal. With the Spektrum systems early on this was an issue....its not anymore. When Off-road guys were using them if they would crash in such a way they would go into fail safe....just like on road guys would when the car would roll over....no static charge I that’s an excuse for what really was going on and that was poor knowledge of what was happening. Basically if the antennas would be pointed away from each other for a spilt second that would induce the fail safe. The newer systems from Spektrum don’t have this happen any more....and the FASST systems never did from what I have seen.

Dave….There is no static charge if that was the case we would have all kinds of static related issues with the cars racing on carpet and that’s not the case. I have never seen any thing static related to racing on carpet in all my years. Plus I think Ozite is static free carpet thats why its used in offices alot.
Kev I know you've been running the 3PM 2.4 with no problems. Would you recommend the newer Spektrum Pro's for my Helios or just grab one of those?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nexus
Kev I know you've been running the 3PM 2.4 with no problems. Would you recommend the newer Spektrum Pro's for my Helios or just grab one of those?

I would go with the Futaba.....I have picked up a few cars with the spektrum in them and they dont feel as responsive. Im sure the Spektrum one is great but I would go with the Futaba one....I havent had any issues so far and it looks like Futaba will have their smaller receiver out here shortly.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

i just got the futaba fasst and my receiver is 1 1/2 in. by 1 in.. is this the new smaller receiver? or are they going to make it even smaller?. i'm thinking this thing is tiny the way it is.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Has anyone had issues with the FASST system.
We have had a few guys have runaways with the FASST in main events.
Immediately you would notice that its lost its bind and if left for a while then its OK.
Same has happened a for 2 guys in electric who run 3 cars on one radio back to back and then all of a sudden it loses bind.
Majority of the top guys that were using the FASST have gone back to 40mhz and are still waiting for feedback from local Futaba agent.

Local champ lost a international offroad event due to this after he lapped the field and the system failed after +- 25 minutes.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by razzor
Has anyone had issues with the FASST system.
We have had a few guys have runaways with the FASST in main events.
Immediately you would notice that its lost its bind and if left for a while then its OK.
Same has happened a for 2 guys in electric who run 3 cars on one radio back to back and then all of a sudden it loses bind.
Majority of the top guys that were using the FASST have gone back to 40mhz and are still waiting for feedback from local Futaba agent.

Local champ lost a international offroad event due to this after he lapped the field and the system failed after +- 25 minutes.
I had this happen to me with the new Sanwa 2.4GHz system.
The car jus took off at full throtle on the second lap.
I switched everything off then on again and I could continue as normal.
Very strange and I am now very sceptical to all DSS systems.

I would REALLY like to know what causes this kind of problems!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.