Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Comparing brushless motors >

Comparing brushless motors

Comparing brushless motors

Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Comparing brushless motors

OK so Im looking for my first BL motor/or system. At the tracks in my area a 13.5 BL is considered to be comparable to stock and is raced as stock. It seems however that they are not all created equal. Novak,Orion,Trinity,LRP,Tekin, and Losi all have BL systems out, not to mention Castle Creations. Novak has two differrent 13.5 motors, but one is considerably more powerful than the other. I cant find any numbers on the Orion Vortex, maybe because its not released yet. The Tekin Redline 13.5 doesnt seem to be (on paper) as powerful as either of the Novak's. The Losi BL motors arent even labeled by the number of turns, only by Kv.

So does anyone have any notes on any of these. If I was a magazine writer, this is the kind of thing I would do a story on.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:21 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If your going to be using this as a race motor I would find who's the fastest guy and just buy the same motor, it will save you the hassle in the end. Ultimately they are almost all the same motor coming off the same manufacturing lines. Novak has the best reputation for customer service among the companies you mention, so when it blows up it will be easier to replace.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Do not buy motor with bonded rotor if there is sintered rotor motor available (same rating motor).
Especially if racing is main usage for this motor.
Bonded rotors tend to explode and then you cat throw away full motor, because these small magnets inside motor are impossibe clean out from motor.
Sintered rotor will not rev as high as bonded, gear accordingly.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180151
Old 10-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Harg
Do not buy motor with bonded rotor if there is sintered rotor motor available (same rating motor).
Especially if racing is main usage for this motor.
Bonded rotors tend to explode and then you cat throw away full motor, because these small magnets inside motor are impossibe clean out from motor.
Sintered rotor will not rev as high as bonded, gear accordingly.
I have never heard of this happening with Novak bonded stuff though my experience is mostly off orad with these, less heat. From my understanding the sintered rotors withstand heat better from a heat standpoint but my bonded rotor motors are already too powerful (I need to go to a higher wind) so I am reluctant to add anymore hp.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Desolas
If your going to be using this as a race motor I would find who's the fastest guy and just buy the same motor, it will save you the hassle in the end. Ultimately they are almost all the same motor coming off the same manufacturing lines. Novak has the best reputation for customer service among the companies you mention, so when it blows up it will be easier to replace.
Novak builds all of the N brushless motors here in Irvine, California.

Novak's non-warranty service policy replaces even the most damaged Novak BL motor for less than half the original price.