Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC port killing fan motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ESC port killing fan motor

I have a MACH-1 30mm alu fan in my mod stadium truck. ESC is Hobbywing Xerun XR10 Pro G2 160A.

Upon first install, the fan runs fine connected to the FAN/PRG port on the ESC (no/low load). However, after doing some almost 'locked-rotor' testing to help set slipper, the fan stops and the magic smoke appears.

I put the first one down to a bad fan, but the second one isn't a coincidence. Anybody seen this before?

Would the fan port spike voltage in proportion with throttle position? Perhaps there's a setting in ESC I've not paid attention to.

Feels like connecting to the lipo for a power source isn't really solving the problem.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Tech Rookie

It's unusual that the ESC is breaking fans. From what I understand, the ESC fan power is on the same voltage line as the servo / receiver line, which would mean that your receiver and servo might be having issues or be the cause.

Are you experiencing any servo glitches or brownouts? Maybe you're getting some voltage spikes. You could run a capacitor in with your receiver / servo line to see if that helps.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sanchez
It's unusual that the ESC is breaking fans. From what I understand, the ESC fan power is on the same voltage line as the servo / receiver line, which would mean that your receiver and servo might be having issues or be the cause.

Are you experiencing any servo glitches or brownouts? Maybe you're getting some voltage spikes. You could run a capacitor in with your receiver / servo line to see if that helps.
No nothing, had a great race weekend without the fan running actually, no misbehaviour.

I thought about that, it being on common rails - I've got a (working) transponder on the same circuit, which I'd have expected to be the least tolerant of spikes.

The fan is 5.8-8.4V, but I'd expect a typical frame fan to cope with +20%, roughly 10Vdc.

Could be the ESC is failing, but I'd think of that as highly unlikely.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Never heard of an ESC causing a fan to fail unless the fan is limited to 6V and BEC is set to 7.4V... I would check the voltage of the BEC with a voltmeter to be certain.

I would change brands of fans and see if the problem persists.

I once had a BEC fail on a cheap HobbyKing ESC that was brand new and shot 4S straight into the BEC frying both my servo and Rx... they refunded the ESC but refused to replace the $150 in electronics that it destroyed, that was the last ESC I ever bought from HobbyKing, doh!