Search
Like Tree74Likes

Reedy SP5 25.5 is Banned

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
R1 survived when BRCA banned them from submitting new motors for a few years when they had a similar issue.
I think a ROAR ban might just hurt them slightly more...
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Could always just manufacturer them in the US. Less quality drift then.

Does a shorter stack even make the motor faster?
Yes.
At our HWC one of these motors was caught in pre race tech. The first indication was a low stator resistance and higher Kv. This was reported to ROAR and that started the investigation. It is probable that it is what is known as a mis-production as the stack is as stated short but it matches the stack used on their other approved and legal motors. The 25.5 by rule is a longer stack.
Our track has one of the best and most through motor techs around with all of the correct equipment. We can even check ESC's for timing if suspected.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
You know that would probably put them out of business. Or in bad enuff shape that Horizon would buy them.
Oh god, that's a fate worse than death.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

THE FASTEST TORTOISE IS STILL A TORTOISE!!!

Old 12-07-2023, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pic lifted from a Facebook group so people understand what component is affected and how to measure theirs.

My local track is just going to measure them. If legal length (>19.7mm), you’re good to go. If short, replace or have it fixed before you race.

Billy Kelly and Mightymango like this.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Look at the tolerance on your calipers. Probably not even with in .1 Measure with micrometers.
...this is what i was tryin to say ppl. We have manufacturing tolerances for a reason. You can zero out your calipers and measure all day. Your tools have tolerances as well
d
Old 12-07-2023, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Edit. Googles telling me they're extremely accurate. I stand corrected. Quality of the tool matters though too. My calipers at home are cheap compared to work ones.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
Edit. Googles telling me they're extremely accurate. I stand corrected. Quality of the tool matters though too. My calipers at home are cheap compared to work ones.
AND! This is coming from running a Daytona Superbird in VTA, When that car NEVER, EVER! Ran in TransAm
jo_er86 and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:56 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by busman
AND! This is coming from running a Daytona Superbird in VTA, When that car NEVER, EVER! Ran in TransAm
ouch
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

For those of you who aren't on Facebook, Rick has posted the best solutions for the problem that he has available at this time. I attached a screen shot for you guys to see what Rick is offering to anyone with an SP5. It does sound like its a manufacturing issue and should only be effecting the 25.5 SP5 motors so all the 21.5, 17.5, 13.5 motors in the SP5 line should be good to go. Hope this helps someone.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/contact/ Click the reedy product support at the above link and email them there.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I hope it doesn't affect the 17.5. I just purchased one two weeks ago.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
Look at the tolerance on your calipers. Probably not even with in .1 Measure with micrometers.
...this is what i was tryin to say ppl. We have manufacturing tolerances for a reason. You can zero out your calipers and measure all day. Your tools have tolerances as well
d
If teching for a big race, I’d agree, but no one is bringing a calibrated caliper (or mic) to a race. Also watch out for a lack of brown out protection on crappy digital calipers (pretty much any other than Starrett or Mitutoyo) that causes readings to drift as battery voltage sags.

This can be a spot check to see if your motor MIGHT be affected. Looks like laminations are ~0.35mm thick, so a caliper would have to be pretty far off to not pick up a missing layer.
gigaplex and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
That'll raise the cost a lot and won't guarantee better quality.

Short stacks can improve performance. But that's besides the point. There's a regulation around how the motors are allowed to be built and these violated it.
It might raise the price 7-10 bucks per motor and yes you can assure better quality. Stereotypes are created for a reason, Chinese made items are @@@. Period.

Last edited by Marcos.J; 12-07-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Chinese made items are @@@. Period.
Some people might call that statement racist, when phrased in such a general way. But Chinese companies are well known to cut corners wherever they can if you don't have top quality control/assurance in place. It's actually an absolute must for production in China, and really not exactly something new or secret. Companies who don't, play with fire - and sooner or later will get burned.
dawgmeat and OffRoadJunkie like this.

Last edited by Marcos.J; 12-07-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Could always just manufacturer them in the US. Less quality drift then.

Does a shorter stack even make the motor faster?
A shorter stack means the wire has to travel less distance for each winding. Essentially with the amount of wire it was short the motor was equivalent to a 24.5 motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.