Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

ESC recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 06:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ESC recommendation?

I am building a 21.5 buggy (no boost/timing in this class) and am looking for a good ESC that will give me room to grow into 17.5 in the future if I choose to. Most everyone at my local track seems to use the HobbyWing XR10 (I think), and I'm not opposed to that one at all - just wondering if this is the best option for me, or if there's better quality out there for the same price, or a little more. I don't mind spending a little more for a better product, but I don't want to spend needlessly for something that I won't reap a benefit of.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by josh00522
I am building a 21.5 buggy (no boost/timing in this class) and am looking for a good ESC that will give me room to grow into 17.5 in the future if I choose to. Most everyone at my local track seems to use the HobbyWing XR10 (I think), and I'm not opposed to that one at all - just wondering if this is the best option for me, or if there's better quality out there for the same price, or a little more. I don't mind spending a little more for a better product, but I don't want to spend needlessly for something that I won't reap a benefit of.
Hello! There are quite a few ESCs that will work for you. But if everyone is using the Hobbywing XR10, that is what I would go with. Specifically the XR10 pro Stock Spec if you need a light ESC, otherwise get the XR10 Pro v1. You can find these for $150 new, or the stock spec for $125 new. The only reason I say go with the HW is because other people at your track may be able to help you with the settings like drive frequency, brakes, etcetera.

Out of curiosity, what track are you going to? I am a new transplant to Lexington and haven't had a chance to visit any tracks yet.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by trilerian
Hello! There are quite a few ESCs that will work for you. But if everyone is using the Hobbywing XR10, that is what I would go with. Specifically the XR10 pro Stock Spec if you need a light ESC, otherwise get the XR10 Pro v1. You can find these for $150 new, or the stock spec for $125 new. The only reason I say go with the HW is because other people at your track may be able to help you with the settings like drive frequency, brakes, etcetera.

Out of curiosity, what track are you going to? I am a new transplant to Lexington and haven't had a chance to visit any tracks yet.
Cool! You're local to me. I'm in Irvine. I was actually in Lexington over the weekend. I'm going to Hoosier HobbyPlex up in New Albany. I've been a handful of times and race Spec Slash there. I really like it, and the owners/operators are great folks.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In 21.5 you can kinda run any race grade esc. Like the HW 80a pro stock spec is popular because it has all the features but like a quickrun 80a being much cheaper wont have nearly the same performance.

Hoosier wont steer you wrong, I live in ohio but I'm down at Hoosier often and Angie knows what the racers use and what they like. Basically anything they sell will be just fine. I actually have a 80a pro stock esc as a spare and am using it right now in my 13.5 4wd, and its not holding me back but my motor sure is. So 21.5 will be fine, and many guys run it even in 17.5 for less weight. But usually I run reedy stuff as anything they make is solid and easy to tune. Fantoms is great as well and I'll be trying out one here soon.
josh00522 likes this.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I think I'm just going to wait on buying anything until I visit Hoosier again and talk to them.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

https://www.redrc.net/2023/09/elcera...tober-release/
cant beat Tekin
hunterdawg likes this.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
That's not a Tekin
Old 09-11-2023, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
That's not a Tekin
No it is not. But, it sure does look cool, lol. I do wonder how long that tft display will last outdoors. Next we'll have glass screen protectors for esc's.
Regardless, it is intriguing and I am glad to see some forward progress with esc design.

And here I am still trying to design a basic esc, lol.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

that esc looks awesome but might be a bit large and heavy. its also not released yet.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:44 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by soulcoma
that esc looks awesome but might be a bit large and heavy. its also not released yet.
not to mention its probably gonna be way too expensive, the screen might take a crap after a few jumps and no way to repair it in an reasonable amount of time.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trilerian
No it is not. But, it sure does look cool, lol. I do wonder how long that tft display will last outdoors. Next we'll have glass screen protectors for esc's.
Regardless, it is intriguing and I am glad to see some forward progress with esc design.

And here I am still trying to design a basic esc, lol.
I'd just put a layer of tape over it. Peel off to program whenever.

Looks like a great idea. The phone hotwire is OK, but no programmer at all, sure seems better.

Would be great in a TC or 2wd buggy, since both are under weight.

Id rather have a lighter Tekin RS in 4wd buggy. My 1/8 ebuggies are the same. My heavy Viper esc sits on a shelf. The lighter Rx8s are preferred now.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My go to has been maclan and orca. I like the feel of the orca blinky pro a little better but damn those things are a pain in the A to solder. Very close together and easy to bridge and waste $90. The maclan is similarly speced but wires are pre-soldered making things easy. A lot of people like hobby wing but I find similar priced esc to be typically better speced in comparison. Most blinky esc settings are going to have the same type of changes and turbo/ramping timings are useless of racing blinky.
Old 09-14-2023, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For 17.5T/21.5T buggy pretty much any 1/10 ESC should be fine, it's not a demanding class of vehicle. Pick an ESC with at least 60A rating on the ROAR approval list and have fun! If you want to save money over the XR10 Spec you can go with the XR10 Justock G3, it only costs $60 and supports down to a 10.5T 540 motor (but that's probably for onroad, buggy you will be fine at 17.5 and maybe even 13.5)
Old 09-17-2023, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

All my vehicles have Teken ESC’s… RSX Pro’s in my buggies and on road Touring Car, and my daughter’s 2WD buggy has an RS Spec. If you’re going to run a stock class competitively, I would opt for an RS Pro, which features lower IR. I also happen to run Tekin motors as well.

My peak competitive racing days are over (I’m 56, lol), so I couldn’t tell you how they compare to top brand A, B, or C, or whether one has a competitive edge over another, but all I can say is that I’ve had no problems with them and the HotWire 3.0 works great.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

well since they wot be released until late Oct in the uk. I added a tekin.

Tekin - Electronic Speed Controllers (teamtekin.com)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.