Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better way to charge than USB

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Better way to charge than USB

My batteries use the JST-XHR-4P plug to connect to a USB charger. It takes over 5 hours to charge them.

Is there a faster method?

Thanks,

J.R.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Technically not an Off-Road topic at all but one for here: https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/
Old 04-04-2023, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are plenty of chargers out that will charge your batteries faster. What battery chemistry do you have? Lipo? NiMh? Lots of chargers will charge many different battery chemistries, but those chargers can be more complicated to use, so you will need to learn how to use the charger properly.

There are chargers that can plug directly into a wall socket (AC/DC) or DC only chargers that require a separate power supply - either another battery like your full size vehicle's battery or a dedicated power supply that can output 12v consistently.

From there, you will need to find the right connectors to connect the charger to your battery. So, you will have two large wires that plug into the same connector you plug into your r/c car, plus a balance board that your JST plug goes into.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrsitman
My batteries use the JST-XHR-4P plug to connect to a USB charger. It takes over 5 hours to charge them.

Is there a faster method?

Thanks,

J.R.
I saw you've made several posts regarding your car. You might get more help in the rookie section where you can ask basic questions like this. But from your posts, It appears you have a Chinese DEERC 200e branded RC from Amazon with a lipo battery with a deans plug. I see the USB "charger" that was included with the car to charge through the JST balance port. Yeah, that's going to be super slow. You can charge that from any lipo charger with a deans adapter. Just set the charger to balance charge at a 1C charge rate with the proper cell count. Looks like your car has a 11.1V 1500 mah battery, so that would be a 3S lipo and set the charge rate to 1.5 amps (That's 1C, that is 1500 mah = 1.5 ah, so 1C is 1.5 amps). For example, here's a cheap lipo charger that would charge those batteries (disclaimer, I do not own this charger, nor can I give you any feedback, just a quick amazon search for a cheap charger that would work for you) Amazon.com: Lipo Charger,Battery Charger Balance Charger Discharger with Power Supply for LiPo/Li-ion/Life Battery (1-6S),NiMH/NiCd (1-15S),PB (2-24V),Smart Battery (Lipo Battery Charger) : Toys & Games

Last edited by Corners; 04-04-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for your advice. I'll switch to the Rookie section. I ordered this charger.

Amazon.com: LiPo Battery Charger Dual RC LiPo Charger AC150W DC240W 10A C240 Balance Battery Chargers Discharger for 1-6S LiPo Li-ion Life LiHV 1-15S NiCd NiMH PB Smart Battery RC Car : Toys & Games
Old 04-04-2023, 02:52 PM
Tech Initiate

When you get time, google, NORRCA.