Like Tree23Likes

ICharger Duo 458

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mudman
Ah okay thank you!

My plan was to rig up eight to twelve 8ohm-100W resisters in parallel with some hefty heat sinks and fans. It's not going to be a travel kit by any means.
12pc. 8ohm-100W in parallel .7ohm resistance showing 1200 watts capable roughly.
8pc. 8ohm-100W in parallel 1ohm 800 watts capable roughly.

Is it bad to have too low of a combined ohm resistance for this scenario?

My goal was to have the ability to discharge a 6S 8000Mah Lipo at 30-40 amps if I wanted.
I'm not sure how well it will handle the 6s voltage. But when using 2s voltage, that load is too much and the icharger can't seem to discharge at high currents with a really low resistive load. My guess is this is a safety feature of the icharger so it doesn't accidentally short a high voltage over essentially no resistance. I have raised support inquiries with icharger and they are looking into this. Maybe I will get lucky and a new firmware update will fix it.

Edit: Wait, sorry. You said 0.7Ω. You should be fine. I put the decimal in the wrong spot when I looked at that. I read it as 70mΩ... Oops.

Last edited by trilerian; 02-28-2024 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
I'm not sure how well it will handle the 6s voltage. But when using 2s voltage, that load is too much and the icharger can't seem to discharge at high currents with a really low resistive load. My guess is this is a safety feature of the icharger so it doesn't accidentally short a high voltage over essentially no resistance. I have raised support inquiries with icharger and they are looking into this. Maybe I will get lucky and a new firmware update will fix it.

Edit: Wait, sorry. You said 0.7Ω. You should be fine. I put the decimal in the wrong spot when I looked at that. I read it as 70mΩ... Oops.
awesome, thank you for the confirmation. This was more of an exploration thing for me with a new charger. Also making the resistor bank seemed like a fun project.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:13 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Holy crap that 4512 charger has 2kW charge and discharge rate per channel, 2.8kW combined.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by disaster999
Holy crap that 4512 charger has 2kW charge and discharge rate per channel, 2.8kW combined.
She's a spicy one. I'd like to max out the discharge capabilities, but that many resistors is out of the budget right now haha. Or I'd have to build one with 4 cucumber sized 500w 5ohm resistors, which would be the size of a small fish tank.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Over this past weekend i had my screen go black on my 458 Duo and got extremely hot. Starting shooting sparks out where connected to the power supply by bullets. Been using this setup since the release of the 458 Duo. Kind of bizarre and not sure what happened. I did notice over the past month or so when hooking it to the power supply it would spark which seemed odd.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:34 PM
Tech Adept

Adding a second heat sink to this tank, along with two more fans.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pink_sleeve
Over this past weekend i had my screen go black on my 458 Duo and got extremely hot. Starting shooting sparks out where connected to the power supply by bullets. Been using this setup since the release of the 458 Duo. Kind of bizarre and not sure what happened. I did notice over the past month or so when hooking it to the power supply it would spark which seemed odd.
How did you have it connected ??? Was it just a power supply and the charger? Did you only charge at high amps?
Old 03-05-2024, 04:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
How did you have it connected ??? Was it just a power supply and the charger? Did you only charge at high amps?
yes Junsi power supply. Nothing else. was only charging one battery at 35amps.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
Yeah, I'll have to make a bank with some series resistors to bring up the resistance.

Just an update, I have contacted Progressive as well. Response is to change the voltage current cutoff limits. I have tried multiple settings and still can't get them to work. Progressive says they will pass on the info to iCharger, but they are on holiday right now. Oh, and I have found other users who have the same issue. But if anyone wants to experiment with settings, have at it!
Another update: After working with a customer for awhile on the phone today I downgraded the firmware on my 456 DUO to v1.10 and was able to get to 45A with all my discharge banks. I have sent Icharger a message and we'll see what they say. But new units are shipped with v1.13, so some change form 1.10 to 1.13 throttled it.
Bicycle019 likes this.