Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree23Likes

ICharger Duo 458

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 01:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have no issues discharging at 45amps with my 458 duo. I just use the same resistor bank that everyone that’s been running for years on the 406 duo.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by isaiahpoon
could u post pictures of the discharge process and the resistor banks thanks
I'll try to get some pics today.

Originally Posted by riceball777
I have no issues discharging at 45amps with my 458 duo. I just use the same resistor bank that everyone that’s been running for years on the 406 duo.
Then that means there is a setting I am missing somewhere...
Old 02-04-2024, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What power supplies are you guys using with this charger? Are there any that come with the EC8 connector?
Old 02-04-2024, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Use a power supply with 4mm output bullets. There is an EC8 connector with the charger.
Devilbrad likes this.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trilerian
I'll try to get some pics today.
Lots of pics.
I took pics of each resistor bank attached to a milliohm meter to verify resistance of the bank.

Also took pics of the settings, and finally took pics of discharging with each bank.

Old 02-04-2024, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

my settings look the same as yours and I have no issues with 45amp discharges. Just running the standard 5 resistor discharge bank that’s super common that everyone runs.

Last edited by riceball777; 02-04-2024 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devilbrad
What power supplies are you guys using with this charger? Are there any that come with the EC8 connector?
You can just solder any connector you want. I run the standard 12volt computer server power supply but I run 2 of them wired in series to get 24volts for 1500watts of available power. 12 volt power supplies will limit this charger to only 600watts of power.
Devilbrad likes this.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by riceball777
my settings look the same as yours and I have no issues with 45amp discharges. Just running the standard 5 resistor discharge bank that’s super common that everyone runs.
That is a bit frustrating...

I would guess though that the resistor bank you are using is 1Ω total resistance, meaning 5, 5Ω resistors. There are a lot of resistor banks out there that are lower resistance than that, but still work on the 308 and DX6 up to 30A.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Double Post
Old 02-04-2024, 10:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lots of pics.
I took pics of each resistor bank attached to a milliohm meter to verify resistance of the bank.

Also took pics of the settings, and finally took pics of discharging with each bank.

ur 1 ohm pic shows ch2 is power limited, the other 2 resistors are input current limited, I suggest u check ur settings are saved, since in pic 7 it shows that the charger is not auto saving, it will default to the default set program. Power limit can be changed in the menu option, I'm thinking u once set it to 240W discharge limit
Old 02-05-2024, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

ur 1 ohm pic shows ch2 is power limited, the other 2 resistors are input current limited, I suggest u check ur settings are saved, since in pic 7 it shows that the charger is not auto saving, it will default to the default set program. Power limit can be changed in the menu option, I'm thinking u once set it to 240W discharge limit
The settings are saved, I don't like autosave so I don't turn it on. Where are you seeing that it is power limited? And why would the banks with lower IR stop at lower power settings? I've sent an email to iCharger, but they will not be back until after their "New Year".

I've looked out the output power menu option. It only goes up to 80W per channel discharge and 1400W per channel charging. There is the option to favor a channel if your power supply can't handle the load. I'll switch that 2 channel 1 priority, but I don't think that should make a difference. The power supply is more than capable of the load, especially when most of the load is put on the battery.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

The settings are saved, I don't like autosave so I don't turn it on. Where are you seeing that it is power limited? And why would the banks with lower IR stop at lower power settings? I've sent an email to iCharger, but they will not be back until after their "New Year".

I've looked out the output power menu option. It only goes up to 80W per channel discharge and 1400W per channel charging. There is the option to favor a channel if your power supply can't handle the load. I'll switch that 2 channel 1 priority, but I don't think that should make a difference. The power supply is more than capable of the load, especially when most of the load is put on the battery.
Hmm look at page 37 of the manual and check with the relevant status indications on ur charger screen, i think it might give a clue, ICC icon tells me that somehow the input is stuck being held in constant current mode
If all else fails maybe do a reset everything to default and try again

Last edited by isaiahpoon; 02-05-2024 at 06:49 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-05-2024, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Hmm look at page 37 of the manual and check with the relevant status indications on ur charger screen, i think it might give a clue, ICC icon tells me that somehow the input is stuck being held in constant current mode
If all else fails maybe do a reset everything to default and try again
All I see is I.CC and O.PC, none of those say they are limiting anything. Just monitoring. But obviously the charger is limiting the output voltage it is allowing to drop over the resistor bank. The only setting I have found for that is the setting to limit the output voltage. Look at my settings, I have selected the max voltage. If I change this to go below the max voltage, to say less than what it gets to, it will limit. IE, if I change the max voltage to 2.0V, it will limit the voltage is sends to the discharge bank to 2.0V. But I have the same setting, 32V for all the discharge banks, and you can see it limits the voltage by how big of a load the bank can provide. The problem, it limits it too much.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yea its well within the operating limits, maybe theres a software bug, try resetting the thing to default or update firmware?
Old 02-05-2024, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Yea its well within the operating limits, maybe theres a software bug, try resetting the thing to default or update firmware?
Brand new charger out of the box. But, I see the same issues with my 308 and dx6 when using a resistor bank that is lower IR. Both of those I updated the firmware and had no change. I think it is a safety protocol built into the firmware to not allow large voltages to be dropped on large loads, but I can't confirm that, but if that is the case, why even give the ability to set the voltage limit?

I'll look for firmware update on the new charger and see if that changes anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.