Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 SCT is not driving correctly

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/10 SCT is not driving correctly

Hey guys,
I have been looking for a fix for my problem, but could not find any older threads that contained my answer. My 1/10 4x4 SCT (Surpass Hobby 3660 3600kv motor, Hobbywing 10BL120 ESC, DumboRC X4 Receiver/transmitter) has been going slow. When I say slow, I mean like 25% max speed. I don't know why this happened. My car was running just fine until recently. The outing before it happened I was running on 2S, per usual. I had just been driving offroad at my local parks soccer field, and trying to ramp it up and get high speeds, so I can make sure when I start racing my motor doesn't go up in a ball of smoke. I was checking temps frequently, and my motor does have a heatsink on it. I finally stopped from the last run, and lo and behold, my little esc fan had come off. The ESC was not hot, so it had come off quite recently. the thing was the motor was pretty warm. I could hold my finger on it for an indefinite amount of time, but it still was pretty hot, and my fingers aren't very sensitive to heat anymore. worried, I shut off the truck and let is cool down as I looked for the fan, because I don't want to have to pay for a new one. I found the fan, and my little motor had cooled down. I figured that I had my motor over geared, because it got hot real fast (3-5 minutes) so I ordered some new ones that are now on my car. I dropped from a 13t M1 spur to a 11t M1. I got home and put my car away, awaiting to drive my car at the park again. When I come home from school, I get outside to run it again (speed test before I gear down) and the speed is around 25%, the brakes are barely there, and the reverse doesn't even budge when it's under no load. I then geared it down, and tried again, and the same problem occurred. I don't know how to fix, and any help is wanted and appreciated!
Old 02-10-2023, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

gonna be hard to diagnose without seeing in person but here's a few things to consider:

1) Do a complete rebuild, inspect for worn/broken parts, inspect/clean bearings and apply fresh grease on all rubber seals in diffs/shocks and refill with fresh fluids
2) What is the IR of the battery? More info here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...er-is-the-best
3) Has the motor been overheated? If so then permanent magnet loss on rotor may have occurred, consider replacing motor, more info here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nics-in-my-car
4) More troubleshooting here: HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD
Old 02-10-2023, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

I am running a new battery, and I tested it in my friends car and it runs fine with it. i thing it must be a problem with the esc or receiver, but I am still new to RC so idk.