Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 fan stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 fan stopped working

Hey Guys,

I got a hobbywing 10bl120 to replace my last two ESCs (they caught on fire LOL). I was running the new ESC on 2S yesterday with a 3660 3600kv brushless motor on a 1/10 scale SCT. On 2S is seemed fine, except for it randomly slowing down and stopping occasionally . That's beside the point though. I was running it on 3S today, and when I first turned the car on, the fan spun up and the car ripped! I then went over to my garage to try to add a tad of increased timing (going from 0 to 3.75) and I also changed the running mode from forward/reverse/brake to forward/brake. Then I turned it on. The fan spun up, I went out with it and it ran fine. I brought it back in, and lo and behold, the fan isn't spinning. I was checking temps frequently, and my ESC and motor barely even got warm. My LiPo is a 5200mah 80c, and I am NOT over gearing. if anything, I'm going with too much torque. I also took the fan off and made sure there was no debris in it. Any help and tips are appreciated.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Get a better speed controller that’s really made for 3s and above, I mostly run 1/10th so it’s always 2s.. the 120BL isn’t meant for 3s and low wind motors, plus you’re cranking up the timing and that means even more stress on the speed controller, did you temp the speed controller and motor ?
Old 02-04-2023, 05:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Plus on 3s a 10.5 and above is the max..
Old 02-04-2023, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unfortunately, the fans on Hobbywing ESCs aren't known for their great quality.

Also this sounds more like a "Radio and Electronics" issue, not "Electric Off-Road"...
Old 02-05-2023, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Oasis
Get a better speed controller that’s really made for 3s and above, I mostly run 1/10th so it’s always 2s.. the 120BL isn’t meant for 3s and low wind motors, plus you’re cranking up the timing and that means even more stress on the speed controller, did you temp the speed controller and motor ?
Yeah, I'm trying work with what I got because I can't blow a ton of cash, but I know that down the road a more expensive speed controller is coming. I figured out the fan just died, and I 3D printed a shroud to fit a larger fan on the ESC mounts. I'm hoping the ESC can't get hot enough to melt the plastic onto the cooling fins, but in no too worried, because the melting point of it is like 160-170 Celsius. I did check temps, and the motor and esc were surprisingly cool after a long(ish) speed testing session. the main thing I am worried about now is the random losses of speed and even losing all motor power for a couple of seconds. It is more frequent when I run on 2S, and I cannot figure out why. I am using a DumboRC X4 (or something like that, just the low spec model) for my car, and can't tell if that is what is messing with the setup, or if my soldering was too janky. I had just put a boatload of extra solder on the joints to increase the durability of the connections, and wrapped them with a lot of electrical tape to cover the exposed metal. Usually I will only run on 2S, and will Only Run 3S for short period for really ripping around. I also did the math on the winding, and I did see that I was quite close to the limit, but 10.5t is equal to 4200kv in hobbywing standards. I also set back the timing to the original because I didn't want to overstress the motor.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Sorry bout putting this post here, didn't know that there was a "Radio and Electronics" section
Old 02-05-2023, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I just discovered something. I was digging through old forums, and from what I saw, if you disable the low voltage cutoff, the slowing down will go away. The reason that it slows down is because the battery can't keep up with the voltage, even though it has a decent cap pack on it. I will go and test this to see if it works.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Yep, the car is running like a champ!