Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vertebreaker

New esc I think?

Old 04-16-2022, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default New esc I think?

Need a new esc i think but I’m not sure what to get
so here’s why: I have a 2wd stampede with a reedy reaktor 3500kv motor/esc combo and I’ve been running it for years now and it’s been sitting for a few years and I’m getting back into the hobby and when I went to drive it it would drive like it’s at 50% throttle like it’s in some kind of training mode or something but I tried calibrating it and to no help it still runs at 50% power so I tried taking the original controller and receiver out for a spektrum dx3 controller and now I’m getting no throttle response at all so I ran up to my lhs to see if they could figure it out and they said the esc is most likely dead.
with that in mind I guess I need a new esc but it’s been a few years since I’ve messed with these so I’m just looking for some opinions on what to do now
Old 04-16-2022, 04:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I assume its a Traxxas VXL ESC? I had issues w mine when using Futaba radio gear. I'd plug the Traxxas stuff back in just in case. Is it showing the correct lights for race / practice mode?
--Alex
Old 04-16-2022, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by alexo35
I assume its a Traxxas VXL ESC? I had issues w mine when using Futaba radio gear. I'd plug the Traxxas stuff back in just in case. Is it showing the correct lights for race / practice mode?
--Alex
no it’s this:
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...bSACdgQgjYI6BA

and when I turn it on it will flash the light twice to show it’s in Lipo mode and then the light just cuts off completely
honestly I think it is dead and I just need a new esc but I don’t know what to get I’m looking for something reliable for 60$ or so I’m just running on some 2s lipos
It also came as a brushed stampede and I had upgraded to this motor/esc a few years ago
Old 04-17-2022, 01:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'd probably go with something like this, low prices but decent quality.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...un-10bl120-esc

--Alex
Old 04-17-2022, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by alexo35
I'd probably go with something like this, low prices but decent quality.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...un-10bl120-esc

--Alex
thanks! I probably will but it recommends running 70c+ batteries and mine are 50C batteries should I worry about that at all?
Old 04-18-2022, 04:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

That's kind of a tough question. Would I worry about it, no. Would I recommend higher C rating packs, yes. Do I believe manufactures C ratings anyway, no.

I think they're saying that as a CYA since the ESC can go down to 3.5t, and to ensure packs can supply enough current for people to not blame the ESC>

--Alex
Old 04-19-2022, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

It’s been on back order and I’m trying to get a replacement ASAP what other options would I be looking at?
Old 04-20-2022, 05:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Used Traxas VXL maybe? I'm not a fan, but may be able to get one reasonable to hold you over.

I like the Hobbywing XR8 SCT in short course truck, but its twice the price.

--Alex
Old 04-20-2022, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Are you sure that the battery that you are currently using is still good? I was just wondering if it's hitting the lipo cutoff or something if the battery isn't holding a full charge. Troubleshoot with a known good battery.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by broitsseth
thanks! I probably will but it recommends running 70c+ batteries and mine are 50C batteries should I worry about that at all?
They are a distributor/retailer and are covering their back, they aren't the manufacturer. Hobbywing themselves don't say anything silly like "not for racing" or "needs 70C batteries". I have that ESC in a racing buggy and I'm using all sorts of batteries with it.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend that ESC for a Stampede basher. Hobbywing MAX10 is ideal and very good value.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Vertebreaker
Are you sure that the battery that you are currently using is still good? I was just wondering if it's hitting the lipo cutoff or something if the battery isn't holding a full charge. Troubleshoot with a known good battery.
positive that the battery is good it’s maybe 2 weeks old it’s FRESH
i think the esc is bad I tried hooking a different controller up to it and still no throttle I thinks it’s just old and dead lol
Old 04-20-2022, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sosidge
They are a distributor/retailer and are covering their back, they aren't the manufacturer. Hobbywing themselves don't say anything silly like "not for racing" or "needs 70C batteries". I have that ESC in a racing buggy and I'm using all sorts of batteries with it.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend that ESC for a Stampede basher. Hobbywing MAX10 is ideal and very good value.
I’ll look into that esc and performance wise I couldn’t care less I just want my stampede to be a reliable beater that I can take wherever and just beat on it lol