Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GerryH
  • 2 Post By billdelong

Too Much Timing?

Old 06-10-2021, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Too Much Timing?

Stock class. Is there such thing as too much timing? If the motor is geared properly to the track and temps are low, Do you advance the timing until you reach an acceptable temp? How much amp draw is too much? I have seen 8.5 amp draw and motor is still in the 120F.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

There is a point where more advance doesn't provide any useful benefits. There are lots of variables in play and without a proper dyno, it's hard to know what timing provides the most power or torque (whatever you're trying to optimize for). For most of the 17.5, 21.5 and 25.5 motors I've dyno'd the optimal timing is around 50 degrees, but some motor brands peak lower. Timing also affects the power curve. Power is a curve, not a line, based on motor RPM. If you're running a track where you're spending most of your time at full throttle, you'll add more timing. But if it's a very technical track where you're spending more time in the mid range or if there are jumps you need to accelerate to clear, you need less timing. You're shifting the RPMs where the motor generates the maximum power.

Where are you seeing 8.5 amps?
Bry195 likes this.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GerryH View Post
There is a point where more advance doesn't provide any useful benefits. There are lots of variables in play and without a proper dyno, it's hard to know what timing provides the most power or torque (whatever you're trying to optimize for). For most of the 17.5, 21.5 and 25.5 motors I've dyno'd the optimal timing is around 50 degrees, but some motor brands peak lower. Timing also affects the power curve. Power is a curve, not a line, based on motor RPM. If you're running a track where you're spending most of your time at full throttle, you'll add more timing. But if it's a very technical track where you're spending more time in the mid range or if there are jumps you need to accelerate to clear, you need less timing. You're shifting the RPMs where the motor generates the maximum power.

Where are you seeing 8.5 amps?
makes sense. Thank you. 8.5 amps is from a Skyrc analyzer
Old 06-11-2021, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by buggybug View Post
makes sense. Thank you. 8.5 amps is from a Skyrc analyzer

I would contact the motor manufacturer to see what timing they recommend, each brand is different.

For example Trinity recommends 6.5A with their current generation of motors. If you go higher than 6.5A for a Trinity motor, then you will only add heat instead of power.
Bry195 and Rcdad42 like this.