Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Popped capacitor and possible RF interference

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 09:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking Popped capacitor and possible RF interference

Hello all. Brand new to the forum (first post) and brand new to the RC car/truck hobby. I purchased the ubiquitous WLToys 144001 and am enjoying the car. My plan is to upgrade to a brushless set up and tinker/learn with this car, after running the stock electronics into the ground. Understanding the risks I ran a 3S pack on the car. I had an initial "pop/spark" then it seemed to run fine (and was awesomely fast for a nooob like me). After a brief run I noticed that the capacitor on the back of the brushed 500 motor had "popped" (i.e. the housing was cracked/broken). Now when I plug in any battery I get a constant motor or servo noise (whine), and the steering servo will not move rack to rack (it moves left and right just not much). In my brief reading I seem to understand that the capacitors on the motor may have some role in RF interference.

My questions. Is my understanding correct that the crossover capacitor on the motor assist with limiting RF noise? If yes, could this broken/popped capacitor be causing RF interference that is leading to the motor and/or servo whine and lack of servo movement? Or, did I perhaps fry the ESC with the 3S pack? Any help is appreciated for this noooob. Can't post a pic of the capacitor because of my noooob status.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Get on the Google and try to find a good view of your motor that shows the values of the cap. Google whatever numbers your see on there to find a replacement. You may also be able to go to your LHS and ask them for help. The 3S battery is likely to cause issue with your esc if it isn't rated for 3s and that may be part of your problem.