• 1 Post By joelwhite
  • 2 Post By Silverbullet555

Stuck pinion - puller or cut the collar

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Stuck pinion - puller or cut the collar

I had a pinion throw the set screw and it must've galled the shaft a bit as it is stuck with no set screw.

It's a nylon pinion molded on to an aluminum collar.

Option 1 is a pinion puller.
Option 2 is a dremel cut off wheel to split the collar.

Is there an option 3 I have not considered?

If not, is there a benefit or downside (other than a destroyed pinion) to option 1 vs 2?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

If you pull it and the setscrew is stuck on, then you will put unnecessary lateral pressure on the front motor bearing (which may not matter but just know that that is the opposing force). I would just use a Dremel and be careful not to go too deep and hit the rotor. A pinion is a relatively cheap thing to replace. There are no other options that I've heard of.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Actually, if you get the correct pinion puller, it pulls the gear off by pushing on the motor shaft. It does not put any load on the motor bearings.
billdelong and gigaplex like this.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by glennhl
Actually, if you get the correct pinion puller, it pulls the gear off by pushing on the motor shaft. It does not put any load on the motor bearings.
Originally Posted by rcbuggy88
If you pull it and the setscrew is stuck on, then you will put unnecessary lateral pressure on the front motor bearing (which may not matter but just know that that is the opposing force). I would just use a Dremel and be careful not to go too deep and hit the rotor. A pinion is a relatively cheap thing to replace. There are no other options that I've heard of.
Both are true. If I get everything else done, I'll cut the collar. Amazon says they'll deliver a pinion puller tomorrow. Will I be patient, or ?????
Old 03-26-2021, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Although you hope to never have to use it and it doesnt work for all scenarios, my pinion puller has been a great thing to have in the box. Id go that way.
Silverbullet555 likes this.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by joelwhite
Although you hope to never have to use it and it doesnt work for all scenarios, my pinion puller has been a great thing to have in the box. Id go that way.
Yep. When you need one, they are nice to have.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know if it's a stupid thing to do, but I'd try some penetrating oil with the motor on top and the pinion/shaft on the bottom. maybe an old film canister or empty toilet paper roll with chopsticks.

Tape off the motor with masking tape, and then gently pour or spray the pinion/shaft with the penetrating oil.

Then lightly try pulling it in a day or so.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Stuck pinion

May I suggest the following:1)put oil in the pinion. 2)opened a pilers and clamp the smaller section of the pinion. 3) used a hammer to lightly tap the motor shaft .—— If the motor shaft doesn’t protrude put a drill bit in the hole from the top. But be very careful don’t hammer too hard or the drill bit would snap and don’t forget towear safety glass in case something happen.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cup racer
May I suggest the following:1)put oil in the pinion. 2)opened a pilers and clamp the smaller section of the pinion. 3) used a hammer to lightly tap the motor shaft .—— If the motor shaft doesn’t protrude put a drill bit in the hole from the top. But be very careful don’t hammer too hard or the drill bit would snap and don’t forget towear safety glass in case something happen.
This above works. Always uses safety if clamping does not work with taping, no worries.. move the collar a few degrees and lightly re clamp and tap., working the collar in the clamp moving it and re clamp etc. remove and if the collar is still stubborn..

To build on this, make a holder that fits the shaft out of a suitable (sacrificial) study fork, bend it to curve around and hold the collar and heat the collar up with a soldering iron or micro touch. Aluminum expands faster than steel and it timed right the collar will expand at the same time you pull on it with the modified fork.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Got it out. Was able to pull the motor and motor plate out. Configured some plyers in a way to let the shaft float and hold the pinion. Tapped on the motor shaft and then was able to pull it off. Would like to touch up the shaft a little with some emery cloth.
glennhl and Xrayray like this.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
Got it out. Was able to pull the motor and motor plate out. Configured some plyers in a way to let the shaft float and hold the pinion. Tapped on the motor shaft and then was able to pull it off. Would like to touch up the shaft a little with some emery cloth.
Sounds awesome!

With it assembled to clean up the shaft I use a fine metal nail file with at least 3000 cst diff oil and a damp rag to wipe off the file.