• 1 Post By Silverbullet555
  • 1 Post By Silverbullet555

Balance pin in hard case LiPo not making contact

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Balance pin in hard case LiPo not making contact

Curious if this is common at all and if there is a reasonable fix.

We run in a spec class and the battery is a 2S hard case LiPo. My son has been using his battery for about 4 months with no issues, including over the weekend.

Hit the track last night and the balance pin in the battery isn't making good contact. Tried other batters and they are fine. If I push down on the pin, it'll make contact and work and sometimes stay there for a charge, sometiems not..

Is this is a common issue?
Any ideas on repairing it?
purplegrape likes this.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

Do you mean the little connector bullet itself is not making good contact? Or does it feel fine physically but still giving you problems?

Old 03-03-2021, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BaconRaygun
Do you mean the little connector bullet itself is not making good contact? Or does it feel fine physically but still giving you problems?
It feels fine going in.

The pin on the charger is good.
physical resistance is good

It's like however that female balance bullet inside the hard case has broken free from it's connection. I can physically push down on the male pin and create contact. Moving the pin side to side or placing it higher or lower in the female doesn't change the issue.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

more than likely it is semi connected to main board.. kinda hard fix. you can pull case off and resolder it if you dare.be careful with your fix might need some aluminum solder as well
Old 03-03-2021, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Ahh man, I think you hit the nail on the head right there. I think the balance pin for the 2nd cell must have broken off of its wire, or partially broken off. The only way to fix that is to pop the hardcase open and re-solder that pin.

On a positive note, you probably only need to solder it back to its wire, so no special solder paste needed. Soldering direct to LiPo tabs can be a different story.

I've had this happen with soft-case LiPos, but it is obviously much easier to fix in that case, since there is no case to remove. I have never disassembled a hardcase LiPo, so I do not have any insight on how to do that.

If it's a cheap pack, I would just bin the thing if you don't feel comfortable with doing the repair.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BaconRaygun
Ahh man, I think you hit the nail on the head right there. I think the balance pin for the 2nd cell must have broken off of its wire, or partially broken off. The only way to fix that is to pop the hardcase open and re-solder that pin.

On a positive note, you probably only need to solder it back to its wire, so no special solder paste needed. Soldering direct to LiPo tabs can be a different story.

I've had this happen with soft-case LiPos, but it is obviously much easier to fix in that case, since there is no case to remove. I have never disassembled a hardcase LiPo, so I do not have any insight on how to do that.

If it's a cheap pack, I would just bin the thing if you don't feel comfortable with doing the repair.
Originally Posted by the rc guy
more than likely it is semi connected to main board.. kinda hard fix. you can pull case off and resolder it if you dare.be careful with your fix might need some aluminum solder as well
I'll have to figure out how to get the case open. Soldering it isn't a big deal as I've been soldering for 35 years.

It is a cheap battery so we'll give it a shot later this week and if it doesn't go so well properly dispose of it.
BaconRaygun likes this.