Parallel charging vs. series charging >

Parallel charging vs. series charging

Like Tree21Likes

Parallel charging vs. series charging

Old 03-03-2021, 07:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BaconRaygun
Umm... man, I'm sorry, but you are starting to confuse me. I'm not sure why you think I said you don't need to balance two s2 packs but would need to balance one 4s pack. I did not say that, nor did I imply it in any way. I just went over everything I posted and I've been really clear, so I really have no idea what you are talking about at this point.
Originally Posted by mrreet2001
If you are running multiple packs to create a larger pack (twin 2s to 4s). Shouldn't they all be balanced together? I would think having 2 cells at a different balance voltage than the other 2 cells would defeat the whole purpose of balancing.
No, because you are still balancing them. The charger dictates the end voltage, not the way the pack is constructed. Assuming the balance lead is wired correctly and the charger is able to charge each cell independently, then the main contributor to how your packs balance is the charger. This is of course assuming the pack itself is healthy.
That's the whole point of balance-charging.
Balancing a pack makes all the cells the same voltage. How exactly can a charger balance all 4 cells if you balance them separately? If you balance charge 2 2s batteries separately and run them as a 4s you won't have 4 balanced cells you will have two pairs of balanced cells.

From iCharger manual:
On Balance mode, the charger will monitor the voltage of individual cells to control it within the Chg Cell Volt and equalize the voltage in all cells, to avoid some cell voltage over-charged or not full.
If one pack gets balanced to a lower voltage you run the risk of running 2 of the cells under voltage.

I was referring to packs that have already been balance charged. Why would there be a difference, and more importantly, why would balancing them together have an impact on their final resting voltage?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

....but why would it get balanced at a lower voltage? If it gets balanced at a lower voltage, it's user error... because the user selected a lower voltage. The iCharger does not make you select end voltage every time you charge. I've had a 306B since it came out.

Standard voltage for a LiPo battery is 4.20 volts. That's what any charger will default to, unless you manually change the setting. Unless there is a problem with your batteries, balancing the packs separately will have the same effect as balancing them together.

In balance mode, the charger applies voltage to the cell that needs it, then backs off and lets them equalize. The process is repeated till all cells maintain their target voltage for a predetermined period of time... and then your charger goes DING, and it's done.

gigaplex likes this.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

You do You I guess.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

LMAO dude, I'm doing it the normal way. I think you are just misunderstanding something.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

LMAO dude, I'm doing it the normal way. I think you are just misunderstanding something.
You must have some serious kit if every time you charge a battery its coming off the charger at precisely the same voltage and the same as all of your other batteries. You must have won the charger lottery and run those new unobtainium LiPos.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Yep, that must be it.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

....but why would it get balanced at a lower voltage? If it gets balanced at a lower voltage, it's user error... because the user selected a lower voltage. The iCharger does not make you select end voltage every time you charge. I've had a 306B since it came out.

Standard voltage for a LiPo battery is 4.20 volts. That's what any charger will default to, unless you manually change the setting. Unless there is a problem with your batteries, balancing the packs separately will have the same effect as balancing them together.

In balance mode, the charger applies voltage to the cell that needs it, then backs off and lets them equalize. The process is repeated till all cells maintain their target voltage for a predetermined period of time... and then your charger goes DING, and it's done.

It's the amps that is different between 2S in parallel vs series... in parallel you need to double the amps in order to charge the pack in same amount of time as you would with 2S in series.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

BaconRaygun likes this.

Last edited by Dave H; 04-14-2021 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Let's not forget cell phones, laptops, and of course your TV remote control... even the 12v Lead Acid battery in your car is actually 6 cells in series.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
..Silly question, if packs in series have some fundamental issue, please explain a Tesla battery. ...

Tesla is far from perfect, they are forced to provide additional heat shields from all the fires started from the extremely dangerous battery configurations in their cars... shrug

https://abc7news.com/tesla-electric-...factory/21997/
Old 03-03-2021, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by billdelong
Tesla is far from perfect, they are forced to provide additional heat shields from all the fires started from the extremely dangerous battery configurations in their cars... shrug

And it was the series connections that caused these issues? Please explain, needs a path of causation.
gigaplex and BaconRaygun like this.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

BaconRaygun likes this.

Last edited by Dave H; 04-14-2021 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by billdelong

I agree Tesla is far from perfect, just like most everybody else. Their choice of battery location has many sweet advantages, sadly protection from road debris intrusion isn't one of them. The industry has struggled with this going back to the GM Impact/EV1, and why some take a different approach for better protection. My concern has always included first responders, training, etc for the high voltages involved.

I don't believe I've seen series connections of packs be an issue in a damage report. Some even include disconnect features in the connections to reduce the electrical hazard in crash events.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
Balancing a pack makes all the cells the same voltage. How exactly can a charger balance all 4 cells if you balance them separately? If you balance charge 2 2s batteries separately and run them as a 4s you won't have 4 balanced cells you will have two pairs of balanced cells.
Quite simple. The charger determines the finishing voltage. It doesn't matter if you have the two cells plugged in at the same time or not. The charger will charge them to 4.2V per cell then stop.
mushroomed likes this.