R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   ISDT P30 or icharger 406 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1079589-isdt-p30-icharger-406-a.html)

mbailie 01-22-2021 09:25 PM

ISDT P30 or icharger 406

Looking to upgrade from an orion touch duo.

The ISDT P30 looks like a solid unit, but there are so many ichargers around.

What's the best choice?

I run 2-3 classes - 17.5 buggy, mod stadium, 13.5 wheeler.

I do have a 900w PS, so that's not an issue.

Thoughts?

billdelong 01-23-2021 07:00 AM

iCharger interface is a little more challenging to configure, but once you have all the fancy features setup, then it's super easy to use and offers an insane number of shortcuts to get to important features like checking the IR with a single press of a button, etc

iCharger also offers a higher balance charge rate which will charge your batteries faster where that was my reason for getting the iCharger on just on that feature alone ;)

sacmiata 01-23-2021 11:38 AM

iCharger also has something that no other RC product can offer - resale value! They sell used for maybe 10/15% of what you can get them new for. Any other brand your down 30+% the second you open the box!

right at the top of the for sale section 300 bucks same price as new with a decent power supply and two people are interested already.
https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-ite...er-406duo.html

ttr_racer 01-25-2021 06:21 AM

P30 is definitely capable of doing everything you need and is $100+ cheaper than the 406duo. And yes I have had both and prefer the isdt interface. And the P30 is much smaller than the 406.
RIght now racedayquads has the P30 on sale for $129 making it half the cost of a 406

GerryH 01-25-2021 06:35 PM

While I don't have the P30, I do have 2 ISDT single port chargers. I use them along with my 406DUO.

What I like about the iCharger: Easy memory settings, high discharge capability, one button push for IR readings. What I don't like: it's big, so what I'm charging needs to be close. Can be hard to navigate. Even after a year I sometimes hit the wrong buttons to change settings, etc.

What I like about the ISDT: they are small, so for some vehicles, I move the charger to the car/truck and that way I can keep my pit area right in front of me clear. Operation, is pretty clear/easy. What I don't like: no memory settings means every battery requires a charge setting change.

I don't see the need for a really high balance discharge. If my batteries are ending up with cells that are too far apart in voltage, something is either wrong with the battery or I'm running them too long.

I'm also not a big fan of dual port chargers or any multiport chargers. I've had one channel go bad on 2 chargers in the past. With no ability to repair them, I had a really expensive single port charger. The big reason I got the iCharger Duo was the ability to put a discharge bank on the second channel. Plus I got it pretty cheap because someone blew out channel 2 and I was able to fix it with <$5 of parts.

Shaun Huelskamp 01-26-2021 08:42 PM

iCharger X6 rocks my socks. SkyRC or GForce stand alone discharger. I’m not going back to a 406Duo.

GerryH 01-29-2021 07:16 AM

I've played around with a friends X6. I like the idea of having 2 independent small chargers as opposed to a dual, but I really didn't like the small selector. The screen isn't that big. They could have moved the screen to one side and made a nice scroll wheel like the ISDT.

trigger 01-29-2021 10:48 PM

X6 is good for 30amps but the S6 will do 40amps.

rcbuggy88 01-30-2021 02:55 PM

If you are on a budget, get an S6. Poor selector but good specs and accuracy. ISDT is known to not be perfect on voltage and ichargers are calibrated from the factory (and if they are slightly off, you can adjust in the settings).

You race a bunch, if you want to do the whole cycling batteries to lower IR, then get the 406. You can do discharging on the S6, but its complicated to wire up. The 406 has been the gold standard racers charger for many years. If you make a custom wire for it, you can do 70 amps of charging (although 40 is plenty).

hunterdawg 03-09-2021 07:22 AM

I've had a 308duo and 406duo. Got rid of them. Not easy to use. The X8 was easier. looking at the p30 or the Revelectrix now.

hunterdawg 03-09-2021 01:48 PM

ISDT P30 ordered. Should be here Friday.

hunterdawg 03-15-2021 04:38 AM

Received the P30 on Friday. In about 30 minutes including solder time and downloading the app was up and running.. No issues, no watching youtube videos. The instructions were clear and to the point. Now to figure out the high amp discharge. As set the unit only discharges at 3 amps. So for now I'll use my skyrc 35 amp discharge box, even though only discharge at 20 amps.

soulcoma 03-15-2021 12:29 PM

I think you need the external discharger to go with the P30 to get the higher rate discharging.

But Im really liking the P30 Im considering selling my 406 DUo and getting 2 P30s. I also have 2 X6 in a case I use for the field and Track. nice and Convenient. I also have 2 ISDT SC608s that were my go to field chargers. They were so nice an easy. but the back light in one of them died found a good deal on 2 X6s so I went with those. But I like the ISDT better.

hunterdawg 03-15-2021 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by soulcoma (Post 15764893)
I think you need the external discharger to go with the P30 to get the higher rate discharging.

But Im really liking the P30 Im considering selling my 406 DUo and getting 2 P30s. I also have 2 X6 in a case I use for the field and Track. nice and Convenient. I also have 2 ISDT SC608s that were my go to field chargers. They were so nice an easy. but the back light in one of them died found a good deal on 2 X6s so I went with those. But I like the ISDT better.

That's what I am reading. For now, I am happy with my current procedure. I don't discharge at the track and wait until I get home.

mrreet2001 03-16-2021 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by hunterdawg (Post 15764680)
Received the P30 on Friday. In about 30 minutes including solder time and downloading the app was up and running.. No issues, no watching youtube videos. The instructions were clear and to the point. Now to figure out the high amp discharge. As set the unit only discharges at 3 amps. So for now I'll use my skyrc 35 amp discharge box, even though only discharge at 20 amps.

To each their own. I am very happy with my iChargers never had an issue that wasn't my fault, never watched a youtube video on how to set it up. :nod: