Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
ISDT P30 or icharger 406 >

ISDT P30 or icharger 406

ISDT P30 or icharger 406

Old 01-22-2021, 10:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ISDT P30 or icharger 406

Looking to upgrade from an orion touch duo.

The ISDT P30 looks like a solid unit, but there are so many ichargers around.

What's the best choice?

I run 2-3 classes - 17.5 buggy, mod stadium, 13.5 wheeler.

I do have a 900w PS, so that's not an issue.

Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2021, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

iCharger interface is a little more challenging to configure, but once you have all the fancy features setup, then it's super easy to use and offers an insane number of shortcuts to get to important features like checking the IR with a single press of a button, etc

iCharger also offers a higher balance charge rate which will charge your batteries faster where that was my reason for getting the iCharger on just on that feature alone

Last edited by billdelong; 01-25-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

iCharger also has something that no other RC product can offer - resale value! They sell used for maybe 10/15% of what you can get them new for. Any other brand your down 30+% the second you open the box!

right at the top of the for sale section 300 bucks same price as new with a decent power supply and two people are interested already.
https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-ite...er-406duo.html

Old 01-25-2021, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

P30 is definitely capable of doing everything you need and is $100+ cheaper than the 406duo. And yes I have had both and prefer the isdt interface. And the P30 is much smaller than the 406.
RIght now racedayquads has the P30 on sale for $129 making it half the cost of a 406
Old 01-25-2021, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

While I don't have the P30, I do have 2 ISDT single port chargers. I use them along with my 406DUO.

What I like about the iCharger: Easy memory settings, high discharge capability, one button push for IR readings. What I don't like: it's big, so what I'm charging needs to be close. Can be hard to navigate. Even after a year I sometimes hit the wrong buttons to change settings, etc.

What I like about the ISDT: they are small, so for some vehicles, I move the charger to the car/truck and that way I can keep my pit area right in front of me clear. Operation, is pretty clear/easy. What I don't like: no memory settings means every battery requires a charge setting change.

I don't see the need for a really high balance discharge. If my batteries are ending up with cells that are too far apart in voltage, something is either wrong with the battery or I'm running them too long.

I'm also not a big fan of dual port chargers or any multiport chargers. I've had one channel go bad on 2 chargers in the past. With no ability to repair them, I had a really expensive single port charger. The big reason I got the iCharger Duo was the ability to put a discharge bank on the second channel. Plus I got it pretty cheap because someone blew out channel 2 and I was able to fix it with <$5 of parts.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

iCharger X6 rocks my socks. SkyRC or GForce stand alone discharger. Iím not going back to a 406Duo.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've played around with a friends X6. I like the idea of having 2 independent small chargers as opposed to a dual, but I really didn't like the small selector. The screen isn't that big. They could have moved the screen to one side and made a nice scroll wheel like the ISDT.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

X6 is good for 30amps but the S6 will do 40amps.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

If you are on a budget, get an S6. Poor selector but good specs and accuracy. ISDT is known to not be perfect on voltage and ichargers are calibrated from the factory (and if they are slightly off, you can adjust in the settings).

You race a bunch, if you want to do the whole cycling batteries to lower IR, then get the 406. You can do discharging on the S6, but its complicated to wire up. The 406 has been the gold standard racers charger for many years. If you make a custom wire for it, you can do 70 amps of charging (although 40 is plenty).