Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Caring for LiHV is a bit different than standard LiPo >

Caring for LiHV is a bit different than standard LiPo

Like Tree29Likes

Caring for LiHV is a bit different than standard LiPo

Old 08-22-2022, 02:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Interesting thread. how would a 7,4V charge impact on capacity?
Lets say we have 6100 mAh 7,6 HV lipo. Guess the capacity would decrease if charged as 7,4V LiPo?
Is there any way to recalculate the mAh so it's corresponding with 7,4V?

Example [email protected],6V or [email protected],4V
Old 08-24-2022, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

First off, donít assume that higher voltage means more speed - if your cells donít have a low Internal Resistance, all bets are off. Itís all about Ohmís LawÖ The owner of the hobby shop I used to buy from back in the day used to say, ďAt your level of competition, batteries win the race - donít spend your money anywhere else if you donít have the juice to drive it.Ē Believe me, back in the days of matched and graded sub-C cell packs, better batteries quickly got me up from the C mains to the top of the Bís statewide, and winning seriesí at my local track. Anyway, IMHO, itís just a matter of time before the sanctioning bodies just allow charging to 4.35. I think the biggest driver is that as cells deteriorate and people end up buying new cells (LiHV), there will be less worry and pushback about people having to buy new packs.

I wouldnít go around saying that LiHVís are just glorified LiPoís though. By classifying them as LiHVís, the companies are basically assuring you that you can charge it to 4.35/cell SAFELY (as safe as LiPoís cells can be, anyway). I know that I wouldnít feel comfortable charging a standard LiPo cell to 4.35V. Care wise, I would just charge them to 4.20 (if competing under current sanctioning rules, special allowances excepted, of course), and store them at 3.8V, or whatever voltage works for you (I know people have differing opinions on that)Ö but I predict that one day soon, ROAR and the other sanctioning bodies will raise the ceiling to 4.35V when they think it will have minimum impact on the user base.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
First off, donít assume that higher voltage means more speed - if your cells donít have a low Internal Resistance, all bets are off. Itís all about Ohmís LawÖ The owner of the hobby shop I used to buy from back in the day used to say, ďAt your level of competition, batteries win the race - donít spend your money anywhere else if you donít have the juice to drive it.Ē Believe me, back in the days of matched and graded sub-C cell packs, better batteries quickly got me up from the C mains to the top of the Bís statewide, and winning seriesí at my local track. Anyway, IMHO, itís just a matter of time before the sanctioning bodies just allow charging to 4.35. I think the biggest driver is that as cells deteriorate and people end up buying new cells (LiHV), there will be less worry and pushback about people having to buy new packs.

I wouldnít go around saying that LiHVís are just glorified LiPoís though. By classifying them as LiHVís, the companies are basically assuring you that you can charge it to 4.35/cell SAFELY (as safe as LiPoís cells can be, anyway). I know that I wouldnít feel comfortable charging a standard LiPo cell to 4.35V. Care wise, I would just charge them to 4.20 (if competing under current sanctioning rules, special allowances excepted, of course), and store them at 3.8V, or whatever voltage works for you (I know people have differing opinions on that)Ö but I predict that one day soon, ROAR and the other sanctioning bodies will raise the ceiling to 4.35V when they think it will have minimum impact on the user base.
I don't think there's much point to allowing charging to 4.35. The voltage curve drops rapidly at that level, it won't make racing better, and it just wears out the batteries faster.

Plus not all new packs are sold as LiHV. There's still a lot of high end batteries that advertise standard LiPo voltages.

Last edited by gigaplex; 08-24-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For me it has not been about that extra voltage , but it seems to have less degradation over time and easy to maintain!
the rc guy likes this.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sx3-swe View Post
Interesting thread. how would a 7,4V charge impact on capacity?
Lets say we have 6100 mAh 7,6 HV lipo. Guess the capacity would decrease if charged as 7,4V LiPo?
Is there any way to recalculate the mAh so it's corresponding with 7,4V?

Example [email protected],6V or [email protected],4V
Testing my own batteries, it's roughly 10%
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Logante View Post
For me it has not been about that extra voltage , but it seems to have less degradation over time and easy to maintain!
I've not seen any improvements with longevity between my LiPo and LiHV packs.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good read interesting to know.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

As I saw many rules in Europe, US or even in Japan are tighly restricted of batteries just charge until 8.4, if goes into 8.44 would be considered overcharge then would be hardly penalized.

But i saw in somewhere of Southeast Asia still allow charge until 8.44.

Then I verified Lipo would swelling in case charge it 8.44.

Could someone tell in case the rules is allowed 8.44 would have advantage for LIHV than LIPO?

Could someone tell me LIHV could be charge with 2C?

Anyone would fully charge LIHV until 8.7 then discharge it until 8.4 before race for better perform?
Old 10-19-2022, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
As I saw many rules in Europe, US or even in Japan are tighly restricted of batteries just charge until 8.4, if goes into 8.44 would be considered overcharge then would be hardly penalized.

But i saw in somewhere of Southeast Asia still allow charge until 8.44.

Then I verified Lipo would swelling in case charge it 8.44.

Could someone tell in case the rules is allowed 8.44 would have advantage for LIHV than LIPO?

Could someone tell me LIHV could be charge with 2C?

Anyone would fully charge LIHV until 8.7 then discharge it until 8.4 before race for better perform?
Charging a regular LiPo to 8.44 won't cause swelling by itself, that's within normal voltage tolerances.

LiHV won't benefit from 8.44V any more than a LiPo would.

LiHV and LiPo can both be charged with 2C (assuming the rules allow).

Charging a LiHV to 8.7V then discharging to 8.4V won't perform any better than just charging to 8.4V directly, other than marginal internal heating which could lower the IR. But you can do that without overcharging, people already cycle the packs.
mac853 likes this.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Charging a regular LiPo to 8.44 won't cause swelling by itself, that's within normal voltage tolerances.

LiHV won't benefit from 8.44V any more than a LiPo would.

LiHV and LiPo can both be charged with 2C (assuming the rules allow).

Charging a LiHV to 8.7V then discharging to 8.4V won't perform any better than just charging to 8.4V directly, other than marginal internal heating which could lower the IR. But you can do that without overcharging, people already cycle the packs.
Thanks for clarifying about LIHV which I never used before therefore I still don't understand why there's many manufacturers only release LIHV then many people like to use them.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
Thanks for clarifying about LIHV which I never used before therefore I still don't understand why there's many manufacturers only release LIHV then many people like to use them.
Marketing/perception. Usable capacity, weight, IR are all that really matters.
mac853 likes this.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For indoor black carpet the trend is ULCG batteries. After checking 8 band new batteries, most of them LIHV, from different manufacturers the big majority of them have ok to terrible IR. You have to blast them with high current for them to have average IR.
Old 10-21-2022, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malkiy View Post
For indoor black carpet the trend is ULCG batteries. After checking 8 band new batteries, most of them LIHV, from different manufacturers the big majority of them have ok to terrible IR. You have to blast them with high current for them to have average IR.
ULCG batteries tend to have higher IR in general - smaller cells with less surface area.
Speed 8 likes this.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
ULCG batteries tend to have higher IR in general - smaller cells with less surface area.
What's a good IR? Brand New protek 7400 lihv with 1.8 IR both cells.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Xrayray View Post
What's a good IR? Brand New protek 7400 lihv with 1.8 IR both cells.
Your charger and charge leads will play a big part in the measured numbers, but under 2 per cell is pretty good.
Xrayray likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.