Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Motor repair... Grinding itself to a paste? >

Motor repair... Grinding itself to a paste?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Motor repair... Grinding itself to a paste?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Motor repair... Grinding itself to a paste?

Hello,
I have a castle motor where the shaft broke. Ordered a replacement. Took the motor apart, pressed out the broken shaft, which took a lot of effort, then pressed in a replacement from banggood but it seemed much easier, I can pull it out by hand.

Seemed to have one spacer by the end with the wires. Put it back together and gently ran, seemed like a fine dust coming out and vibrated a bit. Thought the shaft was not positioned in the spacer, reassembled and less vibration but still a lot of this mystery brown dust.

Help?

Old 07-30-2020, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Looks like it's been run in dirt/sand most of it's life. Blow it all out before you run it anymore and by all means... clean the bearings with motor spray etc., oil the bearings while you have it apart!!!
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't think it's dirt... I blew it out, soaked all the bearings, before putting it back together and I still got all that. Unless the sand is hidden somewhere within, but it wasn't that dirty when I first took it apart. I swear it's from something wearing down it seems.

Also with the replacement shaft being a bit loose, should I be adding some ca glue before reinserting?
Old 07-31-2020, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

First off how did you break the shaft? Secondly how much did the new one cost? Did you take the bearing out that was pressed in? If so castle will tell you that you will almost never get it in straight. That could be your problem. If I were you, I would pack it up and just send it to castle for repair. More often than not they will just junk it and sell you a new one at %50 off.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi RubberMatt,

The shaft broke near the pinion while bashing. The replacement shafts were off ebay - about 10 bucks. I left the original pressed in bearings as is. I ended up adding epoxy to the shaft and then inserting it, which took away the play. Once the complete shaft / rotor unit is back inside the can, there is some play of the whole shaft/rotor side to side, but it runs much more smooth, though I still get some of that brown grit coming out. I still don't know what it is - it isn't dirt.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Never heard of anyone replacing just the shaft. That's a part of the whole rotor and if it's been broken loose, it's junk. Need to replace the whole rotor. The rotor can not spin on the shaft.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've never seen a motor do this. Whatever you have done, the motor is garbage now. That dust is probably a mix of winding and rotor material. If you put a new rotor in that motor now you are probably looking at a smoke show soon thereafter (which would likely cook the esc too). You would have needed to balance the rotor after replacing the shaft in addition to gluing the new shaft to the magnet with the appropriate adhesive.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Junk it
Old 07-31-2020, 04:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

hmmmmm, 2 piece rotors now??? great idea
Old 08-01-2020, 02:17 AM
Tech Adept

In picture number 1 is that the current setup? If so its bad. Like really bad. The rotor should have a shaft on both ends. The ends should be supported by a bearing. With the shims in place to help center the rotor and take out play.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

It should look like that. Did you try to press out the middle shift out of it?
Old 08-01-2020, 09:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yah, I pressed the middle shaft out and replaced with a new one. But it was spaced correctly with the spacers. I had no idea you couldn't replace the shaft, thought the old castle repair kits had this. Well... I guess it's junk!
Old 08-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

It not junk. Send it to castle for them to fix. It will cost half of a new one. Plus I think you can upgrade. Like go to a different kv if you want.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eric1977
Yah, I pressed the middle shaft out and replaced with a new one. But it was spaced correctly with the spacers. I had no idea you couldn't replace the shaft, thought the old castle repair kits had this. Well... I guess it's junk!
Did you have a shaft on both ends? Because picture 1 does not show a shaft.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

I think the castle rotors have the fiberglass wrap dont they? it may be pieces of that rubbing on a rusty stator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.