Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mcscott
  • 1 Post By Losiracer12

HW XR10 Pro G2 problems..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HW XR10 Pro G2 problems..

This post is a little bit of asking for help, and a little bit of a rant... Purchased a new XR10 Pro g2 to run in my dirt oval SC open mod along with a 4 pole HW motor, late Feb or March of 2020. At first the esc only worked in very short bursts, as in the car would run for 1 lap then I would lose power but still have steering. The esc would be stuck in the "on" position anytime the battery was plugged in and red LED blinking fast. Then the esc would randomly start working again, eventually between myself and a friend we noticed pressing against the cover of the esc near the remote on-off switch would bring it back to life again. and yes it has been updated to the latest firmware.

So after fighting this issue for a few outings and going back and forth with Hobbywing's "tech" guys for a week and getting nowhere and no RMA to send the esc in to them I got frustrated, I decided to take apart the case myself and see if anything is out of place. I did not see anything obvious, some of the conformal coating around the remote switch connector was strange looking and inconsistent so I lightly scraped that and blew out the inside of the esc thinking maybe there was some random metal shavings shorting out or something rubbing on the case. Re-assembled the esc and now it has been working fine for 2 full practice sessions, no problems since then at all...

I have communicated all my findings with Hobbywing and have not heard back from them in a few days now. I made it clear I am not comfortable with a esc that could very well just shut off in the middle of an A-main costing me a race or damaging the car because its stopped in the middle of the straightaway, it would be nice if they could acknowledge there is a problem with this esc and take a look at it, or replace it with a new one. After all, taking the case apart and not finding anything actually wrong is not FIXING it as I did not actually find a problem.

Has anyone else out there had this issue or similar issue with the XR10 Pro G2?
Old 04-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any chance your bullet connectors are a little loose in the battery?

Have you checked and replaced the sensor wire?

These are a couple of the go-to options for these kind of unusual/intermittent electronics problems.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes I have checked those, I have the expanding bullets so I can tighten them up, they're not loose. and the sensor wire has been replaced.

But even after removing the esc from the vehicle completely, no motor wired, no sensor wire plugged in. It was still stuck in the "on" position and would not communicate with the programmer and just flashed red LED the whole time.
billdelong and mushroomed like this.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is the XR10PRO compatible with a 4 pole? Also they no longer will care since you voided the warranty by opening the case and told them about it lol
billdelong likes this.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Check your gearing, you might have overheated the ESC and burned it up... I did this once and killed a brand new ESC, was totally my fault... HobbyWing was awesome and they gave me a deep discount to replace the ESC even though it was my fault

Old 04-30-2020, 10:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Losiracer12
Is the XR10PRO compatible with a 4 pole? Also they no longer will care since you voided the warranty by opening the case and told them about it lol
Nowhere in the manual does it say its not compatible, and I've seen many people using them with a 4-pole, and there is a pre-set mode #8 named "4-pole SCT" so I'm pretty sure its compatible with a 4 pole. and they never said opening the case voids the warranty we're still going back and forth via email.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcscott
Nowhere in the manual does it say its not compatible, and I've seen many people using them with a 4-pole, and there is a pre-set mode #8 named "4-pole SCT" so I'm pretty sure its compatible with a 4 pole. and they never said opening the case voids the warranty we're still going back and forth via email.
opening the case always voids the warranty