Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TurnNBurn

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 06:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default advice needed

I am just getting back into the hobby after 30 years. I just purchased a 4wd buggy to take to my local indoor carpet track. I am trying to select a motor and esc combo with price and versatility being the two biggest factors. I would like if possible to be able to run multiple classes with little to no set up changes from week to week depending on if they are running stock one week or mod the next. Anyone have any advice? is there an esc or motor that can run both or other multiple classes? And what are some good choices on the lower end of cost.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Same ESC for mod and stock is no problem... motor is (unless you want to run your stock motor in mod as well). As for other classes... what other classes are run at that track?
Old 02-14-2020, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DirkW
Same ESC for mod and stock is no problem... motor is (unless you want to run your stock motor in mod as well). As for other classes... what other classes are run at that track?
Only thing I would add to this is that while you can run a single ESC, just beware of the turn limits an ESC might have. Some are designed specifically for stock/spec racing, so to minimize resistance and optimize the design for its intended purpose, you might find that some ESC’s have like a 10.5 turn limit... others I’ve seen can handle as much as a 5.5... So just be sure that you do your research and find an ESC that will be able to handle what you plan to run. I really haven’t heard of anyone using anything hotter than a 6+ turn motor in 4WD so far from what I’ve seen online. IIRC, Dakotah Phend has been running a Trinity 7.5, for example.
Mahjik likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would recommend taking a look at what your track is running for good fields, and then go from there. As mentioned above, you can have an ESC that can run mod and also be put into Blinky mode. However, the motor, while you could use bullets to make easy changes, will likely be the limiting factor. I think you'll find that will be easier to just have a separate buggy in the long run.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for the replies. My track runs a 17.5 2wd buggy, stock slash, and novice classes this month. In December they were running a 4wd mod class, in addition to 2wd stadium trucks. Being that they seem to change the classes I would like some potential versatility in my electronics. I also don't want to spend too much, and would love to find used electronics. Its just been so long since I was knowledgeable in this hobby I need some advice on what to search for in the for sale sections.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Only thing I would add to this is that while you can run a single ESC, just beware of the turn limits an ESC might have. Some are designed specifically for stock/spec racing, so to minimize resistance and optimize the design for its intended purpose, you might find that some ESC’s have like a 10.5 turn limit... others I’ve seen can handle as much as a 5.5... So just be sure that you do your research and find an ESC that will be able to handle what you plan to run. I really haven’t heard of anyone using anything hotter than a 6+ turn motor in 4WD so far from what I’ve seen online. IIRC, Dakotah Phend has been running a Trinity 7.5, for example.
Well yes, you'll need to use an ESC capable of handling mod motors (usually these can be set to blinky mode as well) as you might fry a stock ESC with a mod motor.

Originally Posted by Bullc1ty
Thank you for the replies. My track runs a 17.5 2wd buggy, stock slash, and novice classes this month. In December they were running a 4wd mod class, in addition to 2wd stadium trucks. Being that they seem to change the classes I would like some potential versatility in my electronics. I also don't want to spend too much, and would love to find used electronics. Its just been so long since I was knowledgeable in this hobby I need some advice on what to search for in the for sale sections.
These classes need different cars, not just different electronics (unless they let you drive novice even though you race another class already). You can't run your 4WD buggy with 2WD buggies, 2wd(?) stadium trucks or stock slashes, regardless of the ESC & motor combo.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DirkW
Well yes, you'll need to use an ESC capable of handling mod motors (usually these can be set to blinky mode as well) as you might fry a stock ESC with a mod motor.

These classes need different cars, not just different electronics (unless they let you drive novice even though you race another class already). You can't run your 4WD buggy with 2WD buggies, 2wd(?) stadium trucks or stock slashes, regardless of the ESC & motor combo.
im well aware those classes require different cars. I just want to be able to run in either 4wd mod or stock with the same buggy With minimal set up changes.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Depending on the track, and depending what motor the club uses for 4wd stock... you might be able to use a 13.5 motor for both stock and mod. If there is a different layout with a longer straight you may wish to use some turbo/boost on the speed control when running in the mod class, and switch back to blinky for stock. Some of the fast guys were switching out their low turn motors for 13.5/17.5 motors on a recent layout for more drivability and torque, these were producing faster laps.

A used motor is a bit of a roll of the dice, as you don't know if it has been overheated or abused. I'd suggest buying a new 13.5 motor from one of the major brands (Reedy, Tekin, Orca, Maclan, Muchmore, Trinity, Hobbywing). Pick up a used speed control that can handle a mod motor, even better if it comes with a program box or wireless programmer... again any of the above brands who make ESCs will do fine.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Question??? 30years ago, What did you run at that time?
Old 02-15-2020, 06:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

there are a couple drivers in our area who run the same 13.5 motor in both stock and mod, they simply change the profile setting in the ESC between races to switch between blinky and boost... while their boosted 13.5 is not where near as fast at the 6.5 buggies down the straight, it's not uncommon to see a boosted 13.5 take a podium finish with a bunch of other mod cars!