Servos for onroad carpet >

Servos for onroad carpet

Servos for onroad carpet

Old 01-31-2020, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Servos for onroad carpet

Hi all,

I need a new servo and I’m wondering what to get. I know tons of brands and tons of price points. Could someone explain what servo to get and why certain ones are better. I would appreciate it
i run in black crc carpet.
usvta
usgt
touring car
fwd

thanks all I appreciate any and all help
Old 01-31-2020, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

It all depends on your budget, time on the track, desire to be the best and your driving skill.

I recently converted all my cars; sedan, USGT, VTA and F1, driving on black CRC, to the Tekin T-120. Very expensive as servos go, but barring a failure, I plan to grow into them skill-wise and experience gained and keep them for years.

Buy a good quality used one if you are new. If you are experienced, then you probably already have a brand preference.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Thank you. I have some experience. Ya I may look at that tekin. Programming it easy?
Old 01-31-2020, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Tekin is reasonably easy to program, but you do need a PC and a hotwire unit, as well as an extra cable (TT3848 HotWire 3.0 Adapter Cable). I have a couple of the Tekin servos and they are great.

If you have a mid-to high end radio, you may wish to get the same brand servo if you want to take advantage of the highest response speed mode of the radios. The Sanwa servos can also be programmed using their mid-high end radios. Usually the servos compatible with these modes are among the most expensive out there.

The high end servos from Futaba, Sanwa, Tekin, MKS, Protek and many others will all do great. Look for touring onroad specific servos, or their servos with a very fast transit speed (usually at the expense of lower torque ratings). Usually the more expensive servos have faster speed and better torque. They are often programmable. The Tekin servos can rotate freely and be centred from the programmer rather than just with the radio. The other thing that made the Tekin servos stand out to me is their use of a magnetic encoder rather than a potentiometer for sensing position, which they claim is more accurate and longer lasting.

Make sure you can get replacement gears for any servo that you do choose, these can be harder to find for older models. For your onroad cars it might be worth getting the same model servo for all your cars so that they'll all steer similarly.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Thank you.
I have a futaba 7px radio
Old 01-31-2020, 01:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In that case, you may wish to consider these Futaba servos compatible with the 'SR' mode on the 7PX. This will marginally improve the response speed of the servo. Brace yourself for the price, but Futaba servos have great resale value and have long been regarded as top-tier, long lasting equipment. https://futabausa.com/product-catego...super-response

Also, in general Futaba's servos seem to be rated quite conservatively/accurately and post videos including some of their tests, including comparisons against their other products:

Because of this I trust Futaba's speed and torque ratings more than a lot of other brands. I think along with 'C ratings' on batteries, servo specs are better used to compare within a product line rather than across all different brands.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Which servo is right for me?