Battery connection to esc

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Battery connection to esc

Old 01-13-2020, 02:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Battery connection to esc

Hi.
i have a Traxxas Rustler with a Velineon 3S esc. I have a non Traxxas lipo battery (Gens 5000mah) which means I have a Deans to Traxxas connector. I seem to be getting connection problems with the power to the motor cutting out when I apply the throttle and also both green and red lights intermittently flashing on the esc. I think the battery is fine. Could it be issues with the battery connection or does it sound like the battery has had it?
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

How old is the battery?
Does this problem occur right away after a fresh charge or after several minutes of use?
How old is the Deans connector?
I have found that Deans connectors tend to wear the fastest of any modern connector I have used, sometimes they wear in as fast as 6 months of use. I prefer using in line slotted bullets which can be spread with a phillips screwdriver to rejuvenate a weak connection where I have bullets that are several years old. I also shorten the leads so it's impossible to accidentally reverse the polarity

Regardless, I would encourage you to eliminate any adapters and either solder a fresh TRX plug on the battery or switch to a different bullet style plug like EC3 or in-line bullet, etc..

Once you eliminate any connection issues, then you can decide if the pack has aged.

Another thing to consider is investing in a charger which reads the IR of the battery, where anything above 7mΩ would have me questioning the integrity of the pack, more info here:
Which charger is the best?
AHR43 likes this.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Iíll give that a try.
Your advice is much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Shake the car. Does it act up? If not then its a probably a capacity thing (VIR)