Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GTX Lipo batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Novak GTX Lipo batteries

I have an Novak GTX esc, with a 19turn trinity motor, can I run Lipo batteries with it? I have 5000 mah 2S 7.4 batteries. would i be able to run these batteries in this older esc?
Old 12-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can......DC voltage is DC voltage no matter what chemistry the battery is..... but if I remember the GTX was a Pre-lipo esc. What that means is there is no lipo cut off. And you run the risk of running the battery below 6v in turn, ruining the lipo, and this could potentially get dangerous. When we first started using lipo batteries, the trick was to drive until the vehicle started slowing down a little, then immediately stop driving and charge the battery. I don’t condone this, in that LIPO batteries are the most dangerous part of our hobby, and you’d be better off getting a new ESC, the price of a new ESC is far less than burning your car up or burning your house down.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dickie doyle
You can......DC voltage is DC voltage no matter what chemistry the battery is..... but if I remember the GTX was a Pre-lipo esc. What that means is there is no lipo cut off. And you run the risk of running the battery below 6v in turn, ruining the lipo, and this could potentially get dangerous. When we first started using lipo batteries, the trick was to drive until the vehicle started slowing down a little, then immediately stop driving and charge the battery. I don’t condone this, in that LIPO batteries are the most dangerous part of our hobby, and you’d be better off getting a new ESC, the price of a new ESC is far less than burning your car up or burning your house down.
I do run a voltage alarm on it. Im just getting back into racing and was going to run my old brushed motors until I figured out how to drive again.