Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
ESC for short course , buggy ,stadium truck? >

ESC for short course , buggy ,stadium truck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Juglenaut
  • 1 Post By racknpinion
  • 1 Post By riceball777
  • 3 Post By Alexv2024
  • 1 Post By vegas7o2

ESC for short course , buggy ,stadium truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 05:54 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default ESC for short course , buggy ,stadium truck?

Hope I dont get to muck flack for the question but I am not up to date on esc's and yes another "budget" friendly thread. I am currently using a hobbywing Xerun 120A V3.1 esc and have been gettig more heat than normal and some intermittent on throttle play. In other words not feeling to confident in the esc. This esc is not made anymore I believe and the 220 dollar price tag on the new hobbywing equivalent is not in the budget . What are other good options comparable in funcetion to the one Im using? Current using a 6.5 motor and dont see myself going any lower.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Short course is more about the motor than the speed control.
a1 likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

You can still buy the 3.1 from Hobbywing for $130, or if you’d like to keep costs down even further look at the XeRun SCT Pro or the 10BL120.
a1 likes this.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

the V3.1 should be fine to use with your application. check to make sure your solder joints are good and check that your sensor wire is good.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Cheapest quality budget esc by for for mod motors would be a ts120a skyrc esc. It’s pretty much exactly the same as the hobbywing 120a 3.1 esc. This can be had on eBay for about $70shipped from Asia or $100 shipped from rcjuice which is in the USA. But if your willing to spend $100 I think the smc 170amp esc would be the best in that price range. Personally I would just buy a used hobby wing xr10 pro 160a used here on the forums for $80-$120

for a new esc and best for the money would be the skyrc ts120a
a1 likes this.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're getting more heat than normal you should look at if something in the transmission is binding like a bad gearing or gear. Or your gear mesh is too tight or the motor is failing or needs bearing oil.

Esc's should last quite a long time, usually until you do something to them.
mushroomed, a1 and Bry195 like this.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

How do I know if gearing is too tight I just built a brand new gear diff with 10k cst on a t6.1 the RS gen 2 overheated it seemed my first run. It's used but only bought in March. I soldered the joints which I thought were fine I can re do them tomorrow but hmmm

Using a futaba 3pv radio with stock receiver for it as well

Trinity rev tech 13.5t motor brand new only been on for what 10 minutes total now
mushroomed likes this.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your diff moves freely then it won't be too tight to cause overheating with 10K oil in it.

What pinion and spur are you running? What timing on the motor? What timing on the speed control? Are you using a fan on the motor and the speed control?

Make sure none of the beatings are crunchy or binding. Often the diff bearings or rear hub bearings are the culprits if bearings seize.

You should be able to fix this problem without a new speed control...and new speed control may not fix it at all.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

i wish there was a place i could post a video clip for you guys to see making the noise it does for instance. when i pull the gas and let go - when the vehicle come to slow down the "slipper " clutch makes a lot of noise , im unsure if thats the noise its supposed to make as ive been out of this for over 10 years and the kit/build is brand new so unlikely bearing issue. i tightened the hex nut on the slipper screw a bit more. running a 78/25 config

i guess i never noticed peoples gears making so much noise at low speeds like the car is coming to a brake.

the only thing that is not smooth is if you grab both tires and turn them back and forth together NOT in opposite directions when turning in opposite directionst hey are very smooth

however when you turn them opposite its likea clock ticking and or chaning position very hard and slow . if thats normal great if not i got a problem
Old 07-17-2019, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a1
Hope I dont get to muck flack for the question but I am not up to date on esc's and yes another "budget" friendly thread. I am currently using a hobbywing Xerun 120A V3.1 esc and have been gettig more heat than normal and some intermittent on throttle play. In other words not feeling to confident in the esc. This esc is not made anymore I believe and the 220 dollar price tag on the new hobbywing equivalent is not in the budget . What are other good options comparable in funcetion to the one Im using? Current using a 6.5 motor and dont see myself going any lower.
If you already have a fan, I would put one of these on it, I've seen it reduce the heat in the ESC considerably. The intermittent throttle is either a sensor wire failure or the ESC saying "I'm Too HOT!!!"

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

i need to buy a GLITCH buster, a fan, something to mount the fan to the chassis near the esc or over it. please any suggestions on what type of fans to buy and a mount would be great,

i was thinking one for the esc and one on the side of the motor if possible. would be happy to remove the current cap there and install this one if it will help!

i suppose i need to film a short video of the sounds the vehicle makes at little to no speed seems like the slipper clutch is hard at work i dont have another car to compare too and havent built one in a long time, it seems as tho when i turn the wheels together forward or back its got a rather solid motion and sort of with the gears moving the next spot. where when you turn the wheels opposite they turn great
Old 07-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vegas7o2
i wish there was a place i could post a video clip for you guys to see making the noise it does ...
Youtube is perfect for this!

This problem could be as simple as the gear mesh or the tightness of the diff, or even a ‘drag brake’ setting on the esc.

A video will will definitely help diagnose.