Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Dan

Wire recommendation

Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Wire recommendation

I made a mistake I wasn't looking to the future when I wired up my T4.2 installing the ESC and motor. I would like to reuse my hobbywing justock ESC and my wires are cut way too short for my TLR 22 4.0 buggy. I have seen custom color wiring all white, or blue what brand and type of wire do you use CCA or OFC?

Will the hobbywing XR10 take new wire has anyone un-soldered the stock 14awg and replaced it successfully?

Thank you in advance for recommendations, and I know the ESC is cheap enough to replace I would hate to dump a perfectly good $50 ESC.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:19 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

You can use almost any brand wire. I like to use TQ Wire because it is more flexible and doesn't have overly thick insulation.

To remove the old XR10 wires off the ESC, cut the wire near the soldering posts. It should be a lot easier to remove. The problem when you try to unsolder the stock XR10 wires is the rest of the wire absorbs the heat when you try to unsolder it.So the solder doesn't get hot enough. When you cut the wire near the post, it is a lot quicker to remove the remaining end with an iron, since it heats up very quickly.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
You can use almost any brand wire. I like to use TQ Wire because it is more flexible and doesn't have overly thick insulation.

To remove the old XR10 wires off the ESC, cut the wire near the soldering posts. It should be a lot easier to remove. The problem when you try to unsolder the stock XR10 wires is the rest of the wire absorbs the heat when you try to unsolder it.So the solder doesn't get hot enough. When you cut the wire near the post, it is a lot quicker to remove the remaining end with an iron, since it heats up very quickly.
I will pick up some TQ wire at my lhs and rewire my XR10. Thank you for the advice on cutting the wires shorter for ease of de-soldering them.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 PM
Tech Rookie

You can also solder in 4mm bullet connectors inline between thr ESC and motor. That's what I'm doing right now. This also gives you the option to quickly change motors. I bought some bullet connectors and Turnigy 12guage wire from Hobbyking USA.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Deans Ultra 12ga wire or even better wet noodle.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Minigun76 View Post
You can also solder in 4mm bullet connectors inline between thr ESC and motor. That's what I'm doing right now. This also gives you the option to quickly change motors. I bought some bullet connectors and Turnigy 12guage wire from Hobbyking USA.

Not a bad idea for ease of replacement.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you plan on changing motors a lot then use connectors however I have been wiring directly to motor since 1994, and used to wire the battery direct as well in some of my cars.

It is something to work towards, I did not solder directly for almost 3 years when I first got into RC.

It only takes me a few minutes to change out a motor.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TQ wire is great.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always used wet noodles 12awg, but those are too thick for the smaller XR10.. I switched to TQ 13awg and am very happy, superflexible and not bulky at all