Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
LiPo Storage Question(s) >

LiPo Storage Question(s)

Like Tree14Likes

LiPo Storage Question(s)

Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Where or how do you guys dispose of the bad lipos, I’ve got two, one of which has a bad cell or lost connection to the cell, and the other puffed enough to split the case a little.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by TxLoser
Where or how do you guys dispose of the bad lipos, I’ve got two, one of which has a bad cell or lost connection to the cell, and the other puffed enough to split the case a little.
Few recycling places will accept lipo cells. To throw them away in the garbage, you need to discharge them to 0 volts by submerging the pack in a bucket of salt water (couple table spoons of salt per gallon) and leave it there for a day or two. You should notice bubbles forming on any exposed terminals. Once the bubbles stop, the pack is dead and safe to throw away.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Completely discharge them and take them to your local hazardous waste location. Most cities and counties have one.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by beemerfan
What's the purpose of the vent hole? I've stored mine in an ammo can for years and have never done this. I'd prefer not to give a potential fire access to any oxygen. I know that lead-acid batteries need to "vent" but I've never heard a reason why LiPo would.
Ammo cans typically have some kind of rubber seal around the lid which ensures they are air tight. If a battery ignites inside and takes out the rest of the packs, that pressure could potentially build inside to the point where the ammo can explodes. Has there been any documented proof of this? Don't think so, but the theory is sound and it takes 10 seconds to drill a small 1/8-1/4" hole in the lid or side to ensure the pressure does not build. Some flame may escape out of this hole but I think the consensus is that it won't be significant enough to ignite surrounding materials, considering you should be storing batteries away from flammable surfaces/substances...
Old 05-09-2019, 06:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I take my bad LiPo's to a local tire place (Warren Tire). They said they are obligated to accept dirty oil and LiPo batteries from people by law who bring it in. Perhaps your local tire shop or mechanic may do the same.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Suspended

Arrow I have my conclusion I think...

Originally Posted by frewster
Me too. I only recently got a lipo bag after years of running. All I do is use common sense - don't keep them in a hot car, don't over or under volt them, make sure they aren't physically damaged etc.
I've come to the conclusion this is probably the most logical answer. Today I was at Harbor Frieight with every intention to buy more ammo cans, but the cases with foam inserts that are weatherproof, dust-proof and impact resistant kept catching my eye. I read through the little warning & instruction booklet that came with a new LiPo I bought (Gens Ace) and it talked mainly about charging and discharging. I'd go as far as to say 95% of it was about that. The only mention of storage was referencing an acceptable temperature range and way from flammable items. No mention of keeping them in charging bags, inside fireproof cases, nothing like that.

I've also posed this question elsewhere and the answers are quite unanimous in a "better safe than sorry" consensus. Yet, everyone's answer is the same - inside a LiPo bag, inside of an Ammo can - yet, the ammo can could potentially act as a bomb with excessive pressure build up, or if you vent it, it may not be a bomb, but the flames will certainly not be contained within the ammo can - so really, what use is it? It appears people are being a bit overly cautious. Hell, I was too - and STILL putting my ass at risk even thinking I was doing right! Who puts just one LiPo in an ammo can? Do you have a can for each individual LiPo you own? I'd imagine we all put a couple in there - then comes the second question - do you put them in separate LiPo bags at $10.00 a pop, or do you put them in the same LiPo bag in the same can? Believe it or not, you're at greater risk doing that in your ammo can than you are doing what I'm doing (as pictured below). The warning / instructions I read specifically say, "Do not store LiPo's in a manner in which the leads can potentially touch". For years I stored 2 LiPo's in a LiPo charge bag inside the same ammo can not realizing the risk. Damn...

So - to each their own, but I think after doing research and getting some opinions / suggestions, the temperature of where the LiPo's are being stored is the paramount concern, and not necessarily what they are being stored in.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Where did you get those cases? They look like the Seahorse case I just got.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by frewster
Where did you get those cases? They look like the Seahorse case I just got.
Harbor Freight. $29.99 per case and comes with the inserts.
frewster likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Is ammo can short for ammunition can? Im not a paid professional but ive blown plenty of batteries intentionally. Im going to rate a 6000mah 2s 50c at 20 sparklers on the sparkler scale. They burn pretty slow. I havent seen something that would lead me to believe there would be allot of pressure.
ExRCRacer likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer
Harbor Freight. $29.99 per case and comes with the inserts.
Thank you. I might have to get one to compare....
ExRCRacer likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bry195
Is ammo can short for ammunition can? Im not a paid professional but ive blown plenty of batteries intentionally. Im going to rate a 6000mah 2s 50c at 20 sparklers on the sparkler scale. They burn pretty slow. I havent seen something that would lead me to believe there would be allot of pressure.
I agree Bry. I just think many in the RC community are just super vigilant about it. Overly so honestly...
Old 05-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

When not charging my Li-Po batteries; I store them in a Li-Po Flack - Jacket - Case.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 AM
KoP
Tech Apprentice

Travel case- overkill

I don’t put too much faith in a lipo sack for storage or charging.
I purchased a Bat-Safe as I have confidence in them after watching their videos proving the retention of a fire caused by overcharging.

I nearly blew up a battery while charging (still do not know what I did wrong? Over current, wrong charger setting, dunno?). Anyhow caught it when it had swollen up the size of my fist. Super scary!!! So after a bit of research, the Bat-Safe looked to be the only real answer for containing lipo fires. They make two sizes and cost less than the price of one battery.
GuyIsDamGood likes this.

Last edited by KoP; 05-18-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KoP

Travel case- overkill

I don’t put too much faith in a lipo sack for storage or charging.
I purchased a Bat-Safe as I have confidence in them after watching their videos proving the retention of a fire caused by overcharging.

I nearly blew up a battery while charging (still do not know what I did wrong? Over current, wrong charger setting, dunno?). Anyhow caught it when it had swollen up the size of my fist. Super scary!!! So after a bit of research, the Bat-Safe looked to be the only real answer for containing lipo fires. They make two sizes and cost less than the price of one battery.
Very timely, I've been looking into the bat-safe recently so thanks for posting that. Just need to confirm how many 2S' and 1S' I can (or should?) fit into it for storage.