Wiki Posts
Search

Glitch buster or BEC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Glitch buster or BEC?

Wondering whether or not to upgrade using a glitch buster or an alternate BEC for my rides.

Currently a Tekin rs gen 2 with savox 1258 tg servo. Specs on tekin state 5.5 amp bec. Savox runs 4.8 through 6v.

Also running Smc 170rf esc with Protek 160t servo. Smc states 6-7.4v @ 5amps. Protek servo 4.8-7.4v.

Do I need to be running something to protect these esc's? I have heard 4700uf capacitors are only a bandaid to the real problems of brown outs. Any suggestions/brands, and are pro's using any extra bec protection products?

Last edited by TizzyS; 03-10-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: error in info
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Curious what brand radio you are using. I have a feeling it's a spectrum. I've never had an issue using a glitch buster when I used them in conjunction with the savox servos years ago. Are you having issues with both setups?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Spektrum receiver

Yes Faqcya. Spektrum receiver is being used in both setups.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

I'd go with the glitch buster personally. Because the Bec's of the esc's are probably fine. That will be the least expensive route. Best option would be replace the radio system.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Tech Lord

If I do understand the startpost correctly it is not that you notice a glitching but you are afraid that the current draw may hurt the internal BEC?

The current draw of an electric motor is depending how much force it has to deliver and normally it will never draw that when you have set the endpoints right.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

Perhaps I misunderstood the question. If your not having brownout issues. You don't need to worry about a bec or a glitch buster. Like roleof said just make sure your end points are set and go.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by TizzyS
... are pro's using any extra bec protection products?
Typically... No

Provided your equipment is in good shape, you should not experience any brown outs... a pro would more than likely replace a faulty piece of equipment than to rely on a glitch buster. Modern brushless servos tend to run far more efficiently and are less likely to cause brownouts plus modern ESC's come with stronger BEC's as well.

Glitch busters and UBEC's used to be necessary if you ran a combination of an older Savox servo (notoriously drew high power) with an older Spektrum radio (notoriously weak signal problems) with an older Castle Creations ESC (notoriously weak BEC's) as an example. Modern versions of these brands of products have since corrected each of their respective deficiencies, though I caution that Savox still sells some older high drain technology, which will should perfectly fine provided you are using an ESC with a BEC of 3A or higher in most cases.

Last edited by billdelong; 03-11-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TizzyS
Currently a Tekin rs gen 2 with savox 1258 tg servo. Specs on tekin state 5.5 amp bec. Savox runs 4.8 through 6v.
I use the same setup and choose the Tekin RS Gen 2 specifically for the BEC specs. No issues. Also, the newer Spektrum receivers may have eliminated this as an issue (they are new so only time will tell).
Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thank you for all the helpful info!

Thanks again for all the helpful info. I'll be sure to check my endpoints so its dialed in and knowing that the equipment is bueno, with draw capabilities help.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (85%+)
Default R1

this is an interesting topic for me right now. After switching both my TC’s to R1 esc’s I’ve been having horrible glitched my issues. Full throttle stuck on and complete loss of throttle and steering. M12 radio with Protek 160ss servos. Bed is set at 6.0 volts and low voltage is turned off. I’m thinking of a glitch buster possible as a fix as I cannot figure this one out.

ive tried different receivers same problem. Swapped a Hobbystar 60amp esc in and problem is gone.
Definitely have recalibrated multiple times, re-bind multiple times, and have update esc software to the most current.

Anyone have ave any ideas?