• 1 Post By faqcya
  • 1 Post By windellmc
  • 1 Post By ModeratedUser30082018

HELP with Sanwa RX-482 and servos not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? HELP with Sanwa RX-482 and servos not working

I'm really struggling with this brand new radio equipment (I'm not used to 2.4GHz). Sanwa Exzes ZZ transmitter to be exact.
For some reason all of my servos (digital or analogue) do not work with my RX-482, but work fine with my RX-462 and other analogue radios. ESCs are unaffected. I have also tested my sanwa PGS-LH servo with RX-482 and it works perfectly fine. SSL and SSR modes are of course disabled.
I actually have two RX-482s. With one receiver, the servo rotates almost all the way to the left. Moving transmitter does nothing, however I can hear it moving slightly around full lock left. The other receiver kind of works. Servo movement is extreamely slow and laggy, drifts to the left by itself and makes a heck of a lot of noise and gets warm.
It doesn't seem to matter what settings I muck with, I can't seem to fix it. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid as I'm very noob with this radio gear. Any advice would be really appreciated... before I start throwing money and parts at this problem.
Thanks.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

I hope someone can offer some advice... I'm really quite stuck...

After a bit of googling last night, I have read that on some multi channel receivers (10+ channel)s with high resolution output are incompatible with older servo tech. Not sure if this is applicable to me, but I think the RX-482 is programmable through the aux ports (with codes 0-10) but I have no idea how to do that, or for that matter, what settings I would want to change. All of my user manuals are in Japanese.
My biggest worry is that I may have damaged those receivers my plugging in old analogue servos. Even though I don't think I have used them with SSL setting enabled, according to the manual, doing so will damage the servo, receiver or both. What's worse is that all of my gear was imported from Japan so there is no warranty. All of my gear is brand new and I've barely used it apart from a few minutes bench testing here and there so I really hope I haven't killed it already...
I brought all of my radio gear with me so I'll pop over to my local hobby shop after work and hopefully they might be able to help me. I hope to try some new servos but they only seems to carry savox, and I have already tried that brand at home last night. (albeit an older model).
Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hmmm. Possibly check what FHSS(1-4) mode you are in.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

From what I've tried, I can only get this receiver to bind in FH4. FH3 is selectable but I wasn't able to get it to bind (I may have been doing it wrong so I will try again this evening).

I'm beginning to suspect I've broken my receivers

I might try swapping the servo channels around and see what that does.

Quick and probably easier question: If I send this back to sanwa for repair - would they actually repair it (I assume a dead shift register IC or something needs replacing) or would they just replace the whole unit as its not worth their time to fix it?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have some 6 year old savox 1258tg servos that I have no issue with when using an m12 and rx482 receivers make sure the receiver is bound to the radio on that memory location.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds like it maybe stuck in ssr mode. Try rebinding or binding to another radio and then back to yours.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Tech Adept

Well, I'm now quite annoyed and embarrassed.

Last night I took all of my radio gear to a local hobby shop which also happens to be the Sanwa Distributor for Australia and carried a lot of Sanwa devices.
However, he may or may not have been to interested in helping me solve my problem. He didn't seem interested in binding my receiver to one of his radios. So I ended up buying 2 new PGS servos.
$218 later, at home I figured out my receiver wasn't binding properly, despite CH2 and all other functions were working fine. After re-binding the receiver properly, the servos decided to work. Now armed with my new binding 'skill', I re-bound all of my other receivers and now they're all working fine.

So after much messing around, I've discovered that regardless of the NOR/SHR/SSR response setting on the transmitter, the setting change doesn't take affect until the receiver is rebound. So windellmc was correct. one receiver (rx482) was stuck in SSR mode and the other (rx482) was SHR mode (which my digital servo really dislikes for some reason). I was also able to recreate these problems with the previously working rx462.

I then went over all of the transmitter, receiver and servo manuals with a fine tooth comb... and not once did it mention that in order to change the response mode, that the receiver needs to be re-bound.

A rather annoying and expensive $218 lesson learned.
jgil089 likes this.