Prodigy 625 vs Icharger

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cbazq271
  • 1 Post By Racer56556

Prodigy 625 vs Icharger

Old 12-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Prodigy 625 vs Icharger

New to the rc game. My son is racing a b6.1 and t6.1 I currently have the Prodigy 625 Duo ac. Everyone seems to have the Icharger what benefit would I have switching. I am discharging and charging at max 25amps on my current charger. Also what Icharger and power supply is the best. Thank you for the help Mike.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Tech Initiate

I would not switch. The Prodigy 625 does everything you need. I have raced R/C for many, many years and have had every type of charger out there. I have been using a Prodigy 625 for about a year now and love it. For a cost to value stand point , I think its the best charger out there. I actually pit next to a guy every Sat. night that has a I charger 406 and he likes my charger so much he is going to switch. He likes the built-in power supply and the 625 does everything he/you needs. Actually they started checking battery voltage at my local track and my charger is a lot more accurate at reaching the set end voltage then is charger. He actually had me "topping" of his batteries until he figured out how much he had to over-compensate is end voltage to reach what he wanted. Stay with what you got. Just my opinion though.
Mwalton2 likes this.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If your track doesn't care about battery temperature or voltage, I could see the iCharger being the solid choice. But if you are only charging at 25amps, then there isn't a need to upgrade.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a 406 icharger and love it . But not going to lie it can be a little complicated but it will seem to do whatever you want it to once you have the settings figured out . The biggest benefit of a i charger in my opinion is the ability to discharge at a high rate (if you add the discharge bank) . Using the discharge bank has a few benefits that I have found 1. Having the ability to cycle a pack at 40a (40a discharge and 40a charge) will significantly lower the Ir's in the battery witch gives you better performance . My routine is to cycle the battery once when i get to the track and just charge the rest of the time i am there unless I am at a big race then i will cycle a battery before each run ( reason being there is usually a lot more time in between runs at big races vs a club race ) . 2. I will cycle a battery a few times to "fix" a cell in the battery . I have had one cell in a battery start to have high Ir's or a little lower voltage and if i cycle the battery a few times more times than not it will fix the battery . when a battery starts to do that i know its starting to go bad but I can extend the life of it . I know 40a charge and discharge is not exactly good for a battery but I still get 6+ months out of a battery and the extra performance is worth it for me . I don't think you need a new charger because the one you have is a good charger , simple to use , has a built in power supply and 25a charge rate is good . That being said the Icharger has more features and is arguably best charger you can buy but if you don't plan on using the discharge/cycle features it probably is no benefit for you . I have no experience with it but you might look into just getting the skyrc 30a discharger for your discarge needs and keep the charger you have . I love my charger but if I was in your situation I would probably just keep what you have and get a discharger
Mwalton2 likes this.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

So, having read the above, is it safe to say that the Prodigy doesn’t support the use of a resistor bank to aid in higher rate discharge cycles? I’m from the old school of RC and am looking to get back in the hobby. We used to use an automotive bulb array to discharge our NiCD’s (and later NiMH’s) at 20-24 amps to keep the iR down and “train” them.

of course, today’s LiPo’s are much more finicky, and therefore require more precise methods to care for them. That being the case, are the Junsi’s the only charger series that support an array to boost its discharge rates? I’m surprised that A-Main/Protek didn’t think to include that ability in any of their chargers, especially considering that their stuff in general seems to be pretty highly regarded in the hobby. I would think they’d strive to include features that enthusiasts would look for.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The benefits of the icharger is that you can hook up a discharger bank on one of the channels and you can discharge and charge at 40 amps. Compared to your protek 625 the big benefit of the icharger is with 4cell and 6 cell lipos. The protek charger has a max of 200watts and 25amp charge rate per channel. So you can charge a 2s lipo at 23-25amps but you can only charge a 4s lipo at 11-12 amps and a 6s lipo at 7-8amps. The icharger with a proper 24volt power supply can still charge a 4s and 6s lipo at 40amps.

As for power supplies, if your only charging 2s lipos the standard $50-$65 12 volt computer server power supplies are good enough to charge at the max 40amps. But to get full power from the icharger for 4s and 6s lipo batteries you will need a 24+volt 1000watt+ power supply. I use the chargery s1500 which can fully power an icharger 406 duo.

for what it’s worth I would say that at most track I go to 75%+ of the people there run the icharger 406duo and they all charge and discharge at 40amps.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

IChargers will let you discharge at 30/40 amps depending on the model. It only really matters a tiny and if you crash even once, then it's not worth it. The driving skill matters more. Then again, if you can consistently drive a perfect 5 min at race pace then it could be a reasonable investment in a slight punch boost in the beginning. In general, the most common will be a 406 duo with a server power supply. You can solder your own bullets on a dell powersupply for under $30 or just buy an rlpower for $70. The new fad seemes to be a color touch 30 amp icharger x6/8. For most people its just having a cool charger and not using the bit of boost
Old 09-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If your goal is to make your son a faster/better driver, take the money you'd spend on a new charger and use it to pay for practice time at your track. You'll get a much bigger return on your investment.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88 View Post
IChargers will let you discharge at 30/40 amps depending on the model. It only really matters a tiny and if you crash even once, then it's not worth it. The driving skill matters more. Then again, if you can consistently drive a perfect 5 min at race pace then it could be a reasonable investment in a slight punch boost in the beginning. In general, the most common will be a 406 duo with a server power supply. You can solder your own bullets on a dell powersupply for under $30 or just buy an rlpower for $70. The new fad seemes to be a color touch 30 amp icharger x6/8. For most people its just having a cool charger and not using the bit of boost
I just got an X6 and I can say for me it's awesome, I only charge 2s and charge at 20 amps and discharge at 20 amps, for me it's perfect plus I already had a power supply, for the $$ it's the best bang for what I needed..