Wiki Posts
Search

Help eith shorty lipos

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Help eith shorty lipos

Ive never had shorties before and i went to charge a 5mm port Reedy pack with 4mm to 5mm reducers on a 4mm charger lead and I get the connection error beeping. Cant figure out why. I have a seperate wire i was going to balance with but it not the one plugged in. Could the charger be stopping it from working because there is nothing in balance port?
Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Shorty shouldn't be any different than a regular 2S battery. Probably have to have the correct balance adapter cord. Most chargers don't like to charge without being balanced. Do you have one from another battery?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I tried another charger and it works so I am not sure because I use the other one for stick packs?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody01
Ive never had shorties before and i went to charge a 5mm port Reedy pack with 4mm to 5mm reducers on a 4mm charger lead and I get the connection error beeping. Cant figure out why. I have a seperate wire i was going to balance with but it not the one plugged in. Could the charger be stopping it from working because there is nothing in balance port?
a lipo charger usually needs the balance lead plugged directly into the charger unless you are using a fast charge mode with no balancing. It will give you an error until you connect the balance lead from the battery to the charher.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

more than likely the voltage of the shorty pack was below what you charger is set to start charge at..
Old 05-11-2018, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I rarely use the balance connectors on my 2S packs... there are different settings on most chargers to allow you to charge without balancing the cells , on my charger I use "LIPO" mode and when I want to balance then I use "BAL" mode.

Most folks will recommend that you balance every charge, but I don't follow this strategy with the risk of potentially damaging one of the cells... for the packs that I've been racing with over the past 8+ years, I find they typically balance themselves out within 0.07V which is negligible. I am not recommending that anyone else take these same risks, just explaining the risks that I choose to take
Old 05-11-2018, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by billdelong
I rarely use the balance connectors on my 2S packs... there are different settings on most chargers to allow you to charge without balancing the cells , on my charger I use "LIPO" mode and when I want to balance then I use "BAL" mode.

Most folks will recommend that you balance every charge, but I don't follow this strategy with the risk of potentially damaging one of the cells... for the packs that I've been racing with over the past 8+ years, I find they typically balance themselves out within 0.07V which is negligible. I am not recommending that anyone else take these same risks, just explaining the risks that I choose to take

Why don't you use balance? Everyone does and it is just as fast.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong

My thoughts exactly. No need to balance every time. Once every 20 charges and check, no more than .04 out. No biggy
Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88
Why don't you use balance? Everyone does and it is just as fast.
Not everyone balances at all the clubs in my area... and balancing definitely takes longer, I've had some charge cycles take as much as 10-15 min longer when balancing

Most folks will have at least 2 packs per car... and for me that wasn't practical years ago when I ran as many as 10 classes... I basically had only 1 pack per car and generally charge my packs in my cars to save time when running 3-4 classes on the same race day. I have seen some folks start to use 2' charge leads with a balance wire, but I haven't gone this sophisticated yet.

I have invested in extra 4S packs for my 1/8 cars and have been balancing those packs... along with monitoring the IR more closely on them. I plan to eventually do the same with my 2S packs on the 1/10 track, but don't really see the need just yet